10/28/2006

I'll be there

The sis painted the kitchen ceiling yesterday while I was still at work. When I got in from getting special groceries for The Kid it gleamed in over the dull walls like ice on a sunny day. Ew. Now I HAVE to finish, LOL!

Six thirty, no Kid. I called his place but no one knew where he was for sure. I finally got hold of him around eight. He got side tracked and wasn't coming. Now I was annoyed and hurt. I took it personal and probably shouldn't have. Then every other sentence was a dig at him about it. Harping. I had harping on a topic. I hated when mom did it when I was a kid and I hate it worse in me. So I worked out an alternate time with him for today and told him I had to go because I was just going to keep harping on it as I was offended but that I would get over it.

In between calls to his place I kept mixing the new paint with white to calm it down and lighten it up. Then some of the pink to give it a little red. Then some brown to richen it. Then more white.... Humbug. I finally got something like coco or chocolate milk that I can live with easier than the pink that the "tan" dried to and just hollered at myself to quit messing with it and get it done! I tried it several times near previous attempts and the cabinet looked like crap.

I took a break and called KMA. We yacked awhile and I agreed to call her back for my next break to share a drink over the phone. We were talking about our sleep problems. I have decided mine is because I no longer have the mate to initiate shut down. I am going to have to set a time and start closing up shop with a half hour for tea or cocoa or TV or reading to get my head off today and out of tomorrow enough to rest now. I was telling her about it and she agreed that could be part of her problem, too. We got off the phone and I got back to painting and got the whole thing done.

I guess I have been remiss in description here. This is a cabinet from the original construction of the house, I think. It is made of oak under all the layers of paint on it. The last color was "country blue" and we just left it when we moved in. It has the double grooves between inch and a half flat board pattern common to old cabinets. At the ceiling are three short doors, about a foot tall, then there are three full size doors with two shelves which top an inset shelf. Under the shelf are three drawers, known here as junk drawers although I have been getting them cleaned out and organized as I go. Below the drawers are three more full sized doors with two shelfs. There is a funky triangle shaped piece to the left with a hinged lid for storage that ends at the bathroom door. The whole thing is eight feet tall and that wide at the bottom, about 5.5 feet across above the storage compartment, now known as the toy box. The grooves are a pain in the butt to cut in and fill, the old paint is a mile thick and getting the new paint to stay on has meant sanding after washing and sanding again for the new color. I love the storage space but hope to never paint it again as long as I am here!

The new colored has dried to a dark kakie or damp driftwood brown. I guess I can live with it. Today I am off to get the floor trim for the pantry and some quarter round for trimming the edges of the cabinet where it joins the wallpaper. I have to paint the floorboards and touch up some of the white I got sloppy on and as soon as The Kid gets the floor glued down I can slap the trim in and have my washer and dryer back.

I got back on the phone with KMA and a cup of coffee with Baily's in it. I love that! We talked some more and then wound up so I could get to bed. I made coffee, swore at the mouse, fat little bugger, that ran across the floor and made me jump then headed for the bed. It was nice to be able to just get in it and not have to rebuild it first.

I think I rested fairly well but I forgot to turn off the alarms so got woken around seven, put the animals out and crashed for another hour and a half.

Now it's get dressed and get to the store on a rainy day for a couple cans of expanding foam, the floor trim and maybe a second rug for the porch so we don't track in so much. I hate having the porch so crowded that I can't even walk through it.

My "What an idiot I am" moment for the day was when I ran to the store around eight to get the mail before they closed. Our regular lady hasn't been there in awhile but I had figured she was vacating or just switched shifts around to break the routine.... She was on her bike last week, coming into a corner where she had the right of way and a car pulled out in front of her. She took out a passenger window with her elbow and went flying. The asshole that hit her left the scene and left her laying there. One of the neighbors spotted her and took her to the hospital before the EMT's or Fire Dept could be notified.

She took a pretty rough landing and is bruised and sore but functioning. At a year older than me she is not so quick to heal anymore and has been off for ten days. I felt so stupid, no one told me.

See, the mate always got the mail as he was home first and liked to do that. Getting the mail was as bad as coming home to nobody somedays, it still is really. I hate getting the mail as it means the mate didn't and then I know he never will again and I will always have to get the mail and I get all depressed, way out of proportion to the cause. I get the mail with my happy face pasted on and tears in my eyes which are watching my feet most of the time. With his birthday and such it has been really rough.

I just never realized how many days I hadn't seen her and I didn't stay long enough to chat and find out she had been hurt. She is my friend, not just the store lady. I feel so useless and really stupid. I haven't figured out what to do about it. It's way to late for a card or anything now that she is hobbling around the store again.

Got any ideas, people?

Comments: 1 Comments:
At 30/10/06 3:03 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Valerie,

I've been trying to leave a comment on your site since yesterday, but Blogger is being a pain and won't let me. ;-)

I just wanted to say that I hope your friend is OK. I think about something like that happening every time I see a motorcycle on the road and some idiot in a car or truck is tailgating them. They don't think about what's going to happen if they hit that bike, they're just worried because they're in such a hurry. I hope I'm never in that much of a hurry that I hurt or kill someone and I sure as hell won't leave them lying on the road like an animal. I'm praying that they catch whoever did that. But don't be hard on yourself because you didn't notice your friend hadn't been around. You've got a lot going on in your life and when that happens, we all tend to lose track of what's going on. I'm definitely guilty of that. I'm sure she'll be happy to hear from you and she'll understand. You're a good friend and you do what you can to help others even if you don't always have the material means. Anyone would be lucky to have a friend like you around and I'm sending you some virtual hugs that I think you could use right now. J

{{{{{{{{{{HUGE HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Ananke sent me this in the email,

Hug Back to you Ananke

 

Post a Comment

<< Home