10/20/2006

Remember Me


King William's Bucky - AKC Registered Boxer
August 1995 - October 20th, 2006

In a world where children are injured in wars
and sleep hungry, exposed to the sky;
where dinosaurs roamed and
men walked on the moon;
and almost extinct are the tigers and loons;
where buffalo no longer roam;
but people do, without warm homes;
and few truely believe in God -
what is the loss of one dog?

What is the measure of a soul's worth on our earth?
That it created wealth or left behind wise words?
Or perhaps it's the buildings or medicine it made,
that it planted a tree to leave us some shade?
Maybe it only kneeled and prayed.
I know that if God sits in a haven above
that the worth of a soul is measured by love.
Measured by all the love given and shared,
a dog's soul must shine more brightly up there
than mine ever will, as I am human and thus
only can love those that I learn to trust.

My dog reached to each one that stepped in his path
for pets, or treats - not toys or cash.
Not things to horde and store up, til he had the most.
He wasn't impressed by what you had bought
or your clothes.
He wanted to say he liked you and that
was just affection and attention, for him, a pat
on the head or a game shared by two
brought him a joy that he showed to you.

That's love, you know, simple, pure and true
And it's what we all crave while we're here.
When God's too far away and we are too old,
people say, to run home to mom
or call for our Dad in our fear
The love from our dog might be all that we have
to brace up and live on, for comfort
from our life's woes.
Those who have had none will never know
the hurt that it causes when we must let go
of a friend who has loved us
each day we were here - yet
still you will hear people say
what is the loss of one dog?



Old Shep

When I was a lad and old shep was a pup
Over hills and meadows we'd stray.
Just a boy and his dog, we were both full of fun,
We grew up together that way.

I remember the time by the old swimming hole
When I wouldve drowned beyond doubt.
But old shep was right there, to the rescue he came,
He jumped in and helped pull me out.

Well, the years passed and rolled and old shep, he grew old,
His eyes they were fast growing dim.
Then one day the doctor looked at me and said,
i cant do no more for him, jim.

With hands that were tremblin, I picked up my gun,
I aimed it at sheps faithful head.
But I just couldnt do it, I wanted to run,
I wished they would shoot me instead.

Well, he crawled to my side and he looked up at me,
He laid his old head on my knee.
I'd lost the best friend that a boy ever had,
I cried so I scarcely could see.

Well, old shep he is gone where the good doggies go,
No more with old shep will I roam.
But if dogs have a heaven, well theres one thing I know,
Old shep has a wonderful home.

Comments: 2 Comments:
At 22/10/06 4:30 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Oh damnnnnn!!...so sorry!

 
At 23/10/06 11:20 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thank you Jean, it matters that you noticed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home