10/16/2006

Remember me when the candle lights are gleaming

I forgot where I left off, I have been so rammin' busy here! I think we were at Thursday, or maybe Friday and headed for Saturday.....oh, well!

The Best Girl and Grand2 worked with me till evening on Friday. I knew they had it under control so I ran to town for the pictures at the antique store I wanted. Then I ended up at an estate sale run by friends of mine that knew my Dad from the antique circuit. We hadn't seen each other in a year as I have been staying away from these places, I don't NEED anything!

The bathroom had most of what it needed to start a third coat, the house was tidy and the shopping was done and put away when I got home. I arranged to meet them and treat them to breakfast Saturday morning because I wanted to hit that estate sale on "half off day" and see how much of the stuff I wanted would still be there.

I got up and called them, gave them a time and location, told them I would be making a stop first. I got to the sale, flew through for the four or five things I wanted and jammed on down the road to meet the kids. I sat down, ordered coffee and got my book out as I was a couple minutes early. They didn't show. I know the owner and told her I was worried, could I use the phone, she let me. I called their house and the other place we had discussed meeting. No dice. Crap. She was never late....hmmm.

I was going to the counter to tell them to leave my stuff there, I 'd be back to go and back track them and see what the deal was when I spotted them in the next area over, one I thought was non smoking. I high signed them and they came around the corner with their beverages and menus. It was one of those they came in the front, I came in the back and there is a half wall between us goofs, we were all there on time!

We had a nice breakfast, planned a store stop for some cold pills and bread and I told her I wanted to run home on the highway to check out a place that was supposed to have a desk. It's a little mom and pop antique place. They had lots of primitives and such. I found a shelf I could use for movies and music, another picture I liked, a cane that doubles as a seat I had wished for when my hip was so bad and yes, the exact size and type of desk I wanted. The Best Girl spotted it for me. It was all half off for the end of year close out. I found a gift for the Grandgirl, too! The nice old man even loaded it for us!

We rolled on home with our new treasures and while Grand2 rolled the bathroom another coat, the Best Girl washed off the desk and oiled it. I hung pictures and ironed drapes. She helped be get those placed right and we all took a break. The rest of the day we took it pretty easy. We had been killing ourselves since Thursday and I was half dead. My ear was infected and she had some antibiotic drops for me, my cold won't quit and she got me meds. I let her dose me up, made dinner and sent them on their way. The boy was going hunting in the a.m. and then they were coming out for more work and the Lions game.

I kept chugging along, putting things back and washing dishes until the house was livable again. I got some plaster mixed up and had a go at the bathroom where there used to be an electrical box. Messy. Wait ninty minutes and do it again, a quarter inch at a time. Find more spots to plaster, make more - messy, let dry. I had tea and a late snack before bed.

I slept in til nine Sunday and got back after it. When they got to the house she and I painted the shelf/bookcase after she washed and repaired the base on it, the boy rolled more paint. We wound up for the kick off. I had told the girl the team was going to win this week and got to see it happen! The Lions win a game and the bag is off the dog. It was so good to see them finally pull one out. They have improved this year, markedly, and to keep losing anyway must have been hard for them. I am hoping they will really keep the rush from winning pumping them up for next week.

After the game I finished the buttons on the chair backs, we pulled the covers off the furniture and I changed while they packed up to go home. I had to meet mom and take my white truck in for more repairs. I was using her guy this time and she was bringing me home. We had the living room done and I left the front door unlocked so she could see how nice it is to walk into now.

We had a nice drive through the country with fall fast fading around us. Dry leaves dropped on the road and scampered across in gaggles. The sun was missing but it wasn't raining. I saw six bikes out, motorcycles and was sorry I wasn't behind them.

We got to my house and I took her in the front door. She loved it. She liked my new art I have bought and my old pictures I put out and everything. I made dinner for us and gave her the radio show and vintage music tapes I had picked up for her. I put Groucho Marx in, she put her feet up in the glider with the glider footstool and we laughed at humor from before I was born. It was so fun, I love the Marx Brothers. I got to sit in the nice living room and relax with my feet up on the ottoman for the first time and have a friend enjoy it with me. It was totally worth the work we have all been doing. Nothing in that room hurts my heart. I can relax, really.

So we will keep on doing it. Gotta run! Tonight I touch up the bathroom corners and such then reassemble it, iron the last set of curtains and try to think up something good to eat.

Comments: 2 Comments:
At 16/10/06 10:08 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I hope you have a huge party scheduled when you finish the entire project.

Or, will you ever finish? :)

 
At 17/10/06 9:48 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

It will get done, Fred. The goal is to get rid of the excess, make it easy to keep up and fun to use for everyone.

While I am not planning a large party, I am intending to have friends over for dinner in groups of two and four to spend an evening. This will give me something to plan for each week through the winter instead of a one big bash.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home