5/15/2006

Ya get down the fiddle and ya get down the bow

Friday got a little complicated. I left early to get to the bank. I had managed to screw that up on Thursday again, because of the jam session. Then I did some math on the way over. With the taxes in I could get the mower or pay off the loan for the funeral. The loan is much interest, the charge card is less interest....almost half as much. That was easy. I paid off the funeral. I also go the Visa cards straightened out. Come to find out they not only close your account but strip your bonus points AND charge you interest for the time it takes THEM to close the account. So I paid the fricking service charge on the previous card, paid off the small amount due on the new one and made the nice lady agree to give me back the points we had on the JOINT card.

I may have mentioned that you get a 255.00 death benefit from VA and 300.00 from Social Security (or visa versa). They have still not arrived. I had agreed to pay them directly to the funeral home.
It was an easy leap from paying off the loan to deciding to check in with the funeral home and see what the deal was. My very good director, The Woman in Charge, had no news on that front, either. I spent about and hour admiring the changes they had made in layout and such and just yacking. By then I was hungry and it was getting late. I got home about 9 and just stayed in for the night.

I wasn't going to be able to make that work for Saturday, I was too antsy and wound up. I had fronts, weather fronts, I mean. They always make me edgy. About two I had had enough and started packing up to head north. I got out the door about five and started for the cousin's bar. I had a nice dinner there and decided I couldn't compete with Nascar. The cousin wasn't feeling well so I didn't visit but a minute with her. I can't afford to get sick. No insurance now.

I headed back south for a place I had heard was going to have a good band. They must be because I think I got the last "non mud puddle" parking spot. I got a crappy seat under a light that was in my eyes. When people shifted I took a large table AWAY from the in your face lighting and soon had 6 strangers sitting there with me. That was ok, I am out to meet people and distract myself. Aside from the fact that I was on the down hill side of the tower of cans they were constructing I had had a pretty good time with them.

And the BAND! WhooooWE! Blue grass blasters! Mandolin, lap dobro that sounds like a steel guitar, banjo, upright bass and rythym guitar with 5, count em!, 5 vocalists! Nice, if too rare, harmonies, excellent musical abilities and enough "really having a good time making music together" to keep the place cooking til closing time.

Imagine my surprise when the ONE friend that came over in the weeks after the funeral was there just boogin' down with the jams. I haven't seen him in a few weeks and he has different hours than I do but his kindnesses are well remembered. We greeted each other after the dance he was in was over and settled at our own tables.

When break time rolled around I approached the lead singer and dobro guy because they were doing original tunes. I asked if they would listen to two of mine. Surprisingly enough, the lead singer not only listened but asked for a tape to see what they could do with the one I had with me on the computer. I really need to download winzip again. WAV files are huge and I am on dial up. Otherwise I'd upload them for you to hear, too. I don't have a way to record mp3 files and I am still on dial up....LOL. You won't get them anytime soon in the full version.


There is a song I want to promote, now that I think of it again. Bob and Tom won't play it. I think they are secretly Republicans. My friend, Tennessee Traveler, wrote and produced it. If you don't have dial up it's found at http://herway.com/designer/bcs.WMA. It is a great little tune if you don't favor King George the 2nd's policies. Give it a listen. If you do have dial up, it's a long wait for the down load - long wait. I will try to get it in a better format soon.

Sunday the #1Son and family were down bearing gifts, flowers and pizza. We had a really nice visit. The mom and uncle stopped in, too, and I gave her the few things I had for her. I think she was pleased. The grand girl only screeched at me twice, instead of every time I looked at her. She was silly and entertaining. I enjoyed seeing them and finding out what life is like for them lately.

The Eldest Daughter called later that evening. I was surprised that both the other girls were no shows but I guess I am spoiled. They almost always at least call and usually visit. I hope they were having fun with their mother.

Between those events I set up the equipment and recorded my songs to hand off to the blue grass band some time in the future. I was surprised how fussy I was about it at first. Then I just said, screw it, I am not a pro. I got them down well enough you can hear the lyrics and called it good enough. That kept me busy enough that I just had time to do a load of wash and get to bed.

Welcome to Monday, every one!

Comments: 4 Comments:
At 15/5/06 6:50 PM, Blogger dan said...

I hear that keeping busy is one of the best ways to keep the blues at bay, whether they be from the weather, a chemical imbalance or whatever.

Sounds like you have busy completely under control!

 
At 16/5/06 7:19 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I am working on it and it mostly works for me. Some days you cry the whole time anyway but at least you are up and moving.

I have been unable to function in the past and with no partner to take up the slack I don't have the luxury of being that depressed. I have to work, I have to feed the dogs, I have to keep the house up and the yard....I could let it all go but then I would be depressed by the mess and having no money..LOL.

 
At 19/5/06 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehehe.. that was a awesome little piece of music from your friend!!!! I'm anxious to hear what you got out there girl!!!!!

ICE!!

 
At 31/5/06 10:30 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thanks Ice!

I love it. I can't get the local show to play it on the radio, stuck up snobs.

Stay in touch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home