5/12/2006

Singing in the Rain

Well, we were kind of singing in the rain....It was raining outside and very windy last night. I whipped home from work, fed animals and grabbed the guitar then reversed direction and headed for town. I had just enough time to grab a bite at the cafe then get to the jam. Even though I was 20 minutes early most of the players, some of them dressed to the nine's, were settled in their chairs and tuning up or even jamming already.

For your two dollar donation you get at least one chance to sing or play as center stage person, cheap at any price, and for the change you get to listen to others do their bit and it's just fun. I really smiled most of the night because I was just enjoying myself. Who wouldn't? I had two fiddle players and a banjo sitting next to me! There was everything, except a drum, being played. I mean everything! Dojos, kazoos, a 12 string mandolin, dulcimers, an accordian with an excellent player, piano, tub bass, mouth harp, harmonicas and many guitars at all levels of talent. It was just FINE!

I did better on my song than the last time out but still grabbed too low a key and lost it a little at the end. One of those ninja grief strikes that does professional hit and run attacks. But it was still ok. And I played until my fingers hurt, they still do, even just typing, now that I am noticing.

And because almost everyone there is older than me I feel like a kid again. Plus they all know and love the music I am most familiar with. Pig heaven, a warm wallow in a corn field! Too much fun and all that jazz. Then, when it's over, the piano and accordian do old show tunes and I sang till my face hurt. So I went home, still lonely, but knowing I could do it again next week and not be ashamed to walk in the door.

On the way home, through the dark and stormy night, I noticed as car at the intersection of a gravel road with it's turn signal on but not going anywhere. When I got past it I see it's the hazard lights. Hmmmm.....gotta do it. I turned around to go back. It was a lady in a smaller SUV with an over heating problem but only two miles from home. I left her there, with a prayer, because I have BTDT many times. But I felt good because I went back and checked.

So the day sucked but the night rocked! The dogs were good because I left them in out of the weather, the coffee was on for morning, (note to self: check that AUTO is on!) and I checked the email then crashed out.

I over slept a little but made it on time to work. Tonight I am checking to see if there is a jam here in town. It was just too much fun to skip one! If there isn't I have to find another way to fill the night hours. Thinking.

Well, check in Monday and see what I thought up! By, Y'all!

Comments: 4 Comments:
At 14/5/06 1:33 AM, Blogger Mama Mouse said...

Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed yourself! That's GREAT! I hope you found another jam. Your mate is smiling down on you ... watching as you go about honoring his love and life, but moving on with yours.

HUGS

 
At 14/5/06 2:55 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

How fun for you! I'm glad to hear that you're getting out. Wish I had been there, I would've joined you!

 
At 14/5/06 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time. If I weren't two states away, I'd have been there! :-)

 
At 14/5/06 9:16 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Didn't realize I had so many live music lovers here! Neat!

Actually Friday turned into another story but Saturday brings some more fun!

Hang in all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home