4/27/2006

And the times they are a changing

Ok, I changed the avatar again. It's appropriate because I am not exactly my real self sometimes right now. I am in my meeting people manners mode. That makes me a little less bold in my speech, not much, just a little, I actually brush my hair and make sure I have showered before I go out.

I made a mistake Friday and tried some make up. I remembered why I don't use it, it is SO000ooo - NOT me! I got as far as the first bathroom with florescent lights and took it all off, well, most of it. I found a mascara that actually is pretty smudge proof and doesn't run when I cry..LOL! It also stays on about a week unless you get their stuff to dissolve the crap. So I just wear it till it goes away.

While I am still hanging my real face out my real self is under a layer of public manners sometimes. And I am riding solo. I have been on the bike most of the nice days but haven't found anyone to ride with yet. It hasn't bothered me really. I like riding by myself. Until I get the waitress that says, "Is there just one of you?", when she sees the helmet. Like as a female I should have been on the back of some guy's scooter. I keep thinking that we are making progress in the gender situation but even 35 years later it is still with us. Preconceptions of ability and skills limited by gender. I hate that.

The good news is there is just one refrigerator standing in my back yard that is supposed to be gone tonight and I am done with the gypsies. I can't believe how much difference having them out of here makes for me. I REALLY didn't trust them and didn't even like them very well. The Daring Dame says she has Wednesday and Thursday off and will be over. I caught myself making a note of it, like I still believe her....HA! I really am slow to catch on when I have trusted someone. I don't expect she will ever stop in again and I sure won't be looking her up when she is with that family. So it's not all good news but it's livable.

Thursday the best cousins called to tell me they were coming up to spend the night, the nephew called and wanted to stop in to visit with his S.O. and I stopped on my way to the bank to did up one of the guys that worked on the roof last year to see if he would help me with the mowers. There are stories for all of that so I will try to take it in order to get you all caught up.

The nephew called first, while I was at the office, and was coming over after 6:30. I go to the bank every other Thursday to deposit my check and leave a little early from work to get there before they close. On my way there I go past the place the one guy lives and I decided to see if HE could make the mower go. When I pulled in there was a guy standing by the back end of a truck like he was waiting for someone. I got out, introduced myself and said I was looking for Bubba the Kid, are you his brother?

That got me some browie points! It was his dad. I told him the mate had good thoughts of him as a human when he found out who Bubba the Kid's dad was, they went to school together. I also told him the mate had died. He says, "I know, I was there that day." He's one of the EMT's - specifically - the one that called the fireman off me before I nutted him. We talked about that for awhile and I told him I had the instructions for the oxygen tank at my place still. I also gave him a thank you for trying hug. He says he will hunt down Bubba the Kid and come over to look at the mower. I thank him and head home because the bank is closed by now.

The cousins call. I need help with the guns and ammo again as I have found a bunch more. I am armed and dangerous - if I can figure out which bullets go in which firearm. And one of the rifles is a "swap" the mate did with the cousin so he is bringing one back and getting back his. That makes me think another friend may have done the same so I have to call him this week, (note to self). I am grateful they made the time to do this because I can sell the guns and pistol if I must.

While I am on the phone with them the nephew comes in. He is in need of head pats because he is learning to negotiate instead of just get angry at people and he has weathered a rough situation at work this week and is actually back to happy with his job. His girl is looking good and seems happy, too, so I am glad for both of them.

Then Bubba the Kid, his pal, the Sidekick and his Dad pull in. We all go out to the garage and I pull the mower out for more diagnostics and treatment. The Dad starts messing with it so I show BTK what I want rid of and ask if he wants the stuff. He does and I am glad to get it out of there. I come across the tool box we got for the mate when he started working his second job in our first year together. He has emptied it and stored it. I asked the nephew if he wanted it and he took it with tears and thanks. He really liked the Uncle.

The boys all start hauling stuff. I work on the mower with the dad for awhile and there is no improvement. We diagnose the air filter, again. Then he asks to see the other monster mower which is set up as a snow blower. I drive it out and explain that the mower deck has to be rebuilt and that I can maybe drop the snow blower but no way can I remount it. I see he is interested. We dicker. Finally, I tell him to think about it and I will be right back. I pulled a package of T-bones out of the freezer, go back out and tell him to give me a bill and take the steaks and it's his mower. He is all "I don't want to take advantage of a widow" and I told him that it's worth that to me to get it out of here. The steaks were for being there that day and I appreciated it.

The old wheeler dealer whipped out his wallet and told the boys to load it up. The nephew and neice leave. The guys drive the mower to the neighbors yard and load in his ditch, with permission as he was just heading out. I get the boys to promise to come back after one on Sunday to get the rest of the stuff and they roll off with two truck loads and I get SPACE! I might even be able to get the truck in there some day!

I run in, make a sandwich, put tea on, tidy the house and then amuse myself with the guitar while I wait for the cousins. Whew. At one point there were six vehicles in the drive and as many people and I got a little too busy there.

The cousins rolled in late but I had hot tea and the guitar handy. We visited till very late and I called in for a day off to do the guns.