5/21/2006

Riding Solo

I rode off on my motorcycle
late Saturday night.
The weather was a little dark
but the temperture was right.
I made it to the motel room,
right before the rain,
and then I started
missing you again.

I was on my way to join our friends
For a Sunday afternoon.
I thought I'd be a little smart,
go half way and get a room.
When the rain started to sting,
and my face was getting numb,
I missed your wide shoulders
and missed your warming love.

Everything I do
Seems to leave me missing you.
Everywhere I go
I just wish that I was home.
The joy is gone,
The days too long,
and I am always blue.
I spend all my time these days
sadly missing you

I made it through the lonely night
by trying not to think.
I thought I did pretty good -
I never had a drink.
I had dinner in a place nearby
at a table set for two.
The waitress never knew
how I was missing you.

I walked back to the motel room,
in the dark, through pouring rain.
The chill was dripping down my neck
as I crossed the big four lane.
A neon sign glowed with one word,
All it said was just "Tattoo",
That was enough to make me
start over missing you.

chorus

The morning brought a cold north wind
that blew as cold as ice.
I pack my things that morning
and loaded up the bike.
I spotted just one little spot
of blue sky off toward home.
I decided I was going back,
to missing you, alone.

My face got numb as I rode off
through the biting cold.
My fingers felt like sunlit ice.
I kept warm thinking of home.
Even though I know you're not
waiting there for me
It's where we were together
and where I'd rather be.

chorus

I made it home and parked the bike;
took all my things inside.
I let the dogs and cat come in
then cranked the heat up high.
I saw your hat, still hanging there,
and my bravery was through.
I let go, the tears flowed slow,
and I went back to missing you

I'm ok now, the tears have stopped.
The dogs are back outside.
I feel warm and safe again-
though you're not by my side.
I wish I knew how many days
I can be this blue.
My heart is sore and lonely
and I'm still missing you.