2/11/2008

A fire is so delightful

February is a "'t'aint". It ain't winter and 't'ain't yet spring. The month seems to drag with storms and cold. I am tired of them and longing for a glimpse of just one crocus.

I have been getting the help I need to get through it but cabin fever is setting in for many of my friends.

The truck would not get warm yesterday, it would not thaw the ice off the windows. I had to run it almost forty minutes to get the thing to heat up. No clue there was a problem. Duh!

I got an invitation to dinner at work and went home to feed and let out the dogs. That is when I discovered that the truck had left a pink, wet spot on the snow. Anti freeze. It doesn't do you any good on the ground. I was lucky it was cold enough that I hadn't blown up the truck.

I figured out (history of S10's in my life) that the thermostat must have been frozen shut. It stayed that way and boiled out some of the juice. Then it thawed and started working again. If I had been smart enough to remember that happens sometimes I could have given it a thump with a hammer to open it up that morning.

Well, I wasn't. I am smart enough to buy and refill the antifreeze so the block was protected last night. It did just fine today. I was glad it seems I was right. I might have blown a hose or seal from the pressure. It looks like I am ok for now.

But I have had it up to here with winter. (hand at neck level!)

I had a good time at a home cooked dinner with brother and the Mom. He beat me two games of cribbage but I gave him a good match both times. We are re-teaching Mom, she hasn't played in a long time. It got me out of the house and out of "what's for dinner" and it cheered us all up.

The night of the big storm I had to keep shoveling the path at the back door. Even just to let the dogs out it had to be knocked down every time. I got tired and started tossing it short, against the gate to the back yard.

Now it's piled with frozen snow and I can't get to the bird feeders. It's part of my short sightedness that I didn't see the consequences coming. I only saw I was getting worn out by moving the snow and quit.

Crap again. I found it out when I wanted to go knock off the ice for the birds. Instead I got to see why it is not always bad that blue jays are so sloppy when they eat. They dug down and tossed what they didn't want on the ground for the juncos. It was covered without me even though I locked myself out.

Life goes on even when I screw myself up it gets taken care of, thank you.

Still, I'm glad to remember that spring always comes.