7/13/2007

Then they'll all come to meet me

"in the shade of that old oak tree"... I love the shade under the trees. It even feels different from the shade of a building or a rock.

I had a wonderful time last night! I got around and went to the jam session at the Commission on Aging. I had a couple songs picked out that were for the entertainment of the crowd we get, not my own current, bluesy type, and I was ready for some tunes!

I walked in and got settled down, looked up and saw my Aunt L! She was my father's brother's wife, my Uncle K. He went ahead years ago and Dad in '02. She is still my Aunt L and I was so glad to see her! I looked around the bunch up front I sat with and there was her twin, Aunt L2! That made me miss their brother, Uncle E, who could yodel.

We got some hugs and fussed over each other and then the party was getting started so we sat back down. I tossed my songs out the window of my head and searched for one I knew they would love to hear again. I nailed it! It isn't really a very cheerful song, it might be called uplifting if you work hard to find that in it, but it was one we all could sing and love the sharing.

People take turns and bring their own music, some new and some old. It seemed like most of them were playing pretty much alone. It kinda took the jam out of the jam session a little for some of the players that didn't know the tunes. Me, included.

When my turn came I asked them to do an old one with me, I asked them to all sing along. I called it in an easy to play key for the beginners in the crowd. I tried to cover all the bases, even though it left me singing deeper than I like. But you should have heard the music as all the instruments got played this time. It rang out! Mandolins, guitars, the upright bass, piano, accordian, fiddle and then we sang! The crowd singing was almost as loud as me on the mic.

It was just "Green Green Grass of Home", an old Hank Williams tune. But Hank had a way with words that touch a heart. And the thought that those we love will meet us in a place we all know is a wish from everyone that walks on down here alone.

They gave me the blessing of the applause a singer feeds their heart with but I knew the blessing for me was in the voices of my Aunts and their smiles. It gathered up a little of when I was little and watching them sing with their brother, Uncle E. They always sang, "Silver haired Daddy of Mine". It reminded me of good times and family. The power in music is awesome.

I got to see the tide turning and knew that, for the little ones coming up, I can sing and show them the joy in sharing music and songs, like the family I had showed me so long ago. It is why I took up guitar, I wanted to play and sing with them.

My Dad and Uncle K played and sang. Uncle E, too. My cousins play drums and bass, another plays lead guitar. Almost all of us sang. We have had the music at every family party and when the ones that taught it to us are gone still we will sing thinking of them and what they gave to us.

I thought I was going to play to cheer the hearts of those older and more alone even than me. I walked out with a comfort in my heart I can't really explain. How I keep trying to care for others and see what a blessing that has brought to me is just one of the little magic tricks of love if you can open your eyes and see it.

I left the Aunt's with Mom's phone number and knew I would be taking the guitar for the family reunion tomorrow. Most of the musical bunch won't be there and I might only have one or two to play with but a family party without music must be for some other family, not mine.

I know my kids love music, too and that is a joy to me. I love that I had such a wonderful time for myself when I thought I was cheering someone else.

I will never be the best and I might sing a lot of slow ones, but there are others for the quick step and the polka and I can play them and sing along. I will always love making music with my friends and family. It's another part of myself that I had left behind me.

New rule, love me, love my guitar and singing, or at least bear up under it and let me share it. I won't put it down again. It ain't gonna happen. It doesn't have to be in bars and clubs, a fire, a party is plenty enough and even just around the house. But when I feel like getting it out and making some noise, I guess I am going to need a man who won't mind it. Might be nice to have one to egg me on or join me.

There, I transferred out some fun! Have a dose of a good time!

Comments: 7 Comments:
At 13/7/07 10:57 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm sure you'll make any gathering more pleasant with your music.

 
At 14/7/07 7:28 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thanks, good word fairy!

 
At 14/7/07 7:59 AM, Blogger Cyrus said...

Beautiful post Val...and I see you could take a break and stay away from here as easily as I could. : )

 
At 14/7/07 10:13 AM, Blogger Jean said...

good music, good time...good for you!

 
At 14/7/07 8:38 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Hi Cyrus, well, I got laid off this week so I had extra time and came to visit friends!

Thanks Jean, again!

 
At 15/7/07 9:50 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Good time indeed! Nothing like music to make the heart smile. I'm so glad you "let it all hang out" and don't plan on putting it away. :)

 
At 15/7/07 11:07 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

HI LOIS!

LTNS! and glad you stopped by, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home