5/22/2007

Birds fly over the rainbow

so why can't I? It seems that even all birds can't fly over the rainbow so it's not surprising I can't.

Last night I had a little robin that could only hop/fly, floop we'll call it, about four feet at a time being charged and chased around a stump in the yard by the dogs. Poor little guy! After having to cover him with the lid to the portable fire pit Jeanette and I got the dogs in the house.

I removed the cover and he flooped away again. we went all over the place until I picked up some of the hay from the last time I mowed and tossed it over him to get him to hold still. I had finally remembered birds won't fly in the dark. I used more hay to pad my hands from him and pick him up. I didn't want him to smell funny or to hurt his feathers.

I didn't see a nest even though I had seen the parents dive bombing the dogs. I decided to sit him in the little nest I had made on top of the bird house. I discovered the house was occupied. That made me hope the parents there would feed the orphan, too. At the very least if it flooped off again it would end up in the neighbors yard and they don't have dogs.

Why do we do that? Rescue little things we know are destined to die? It's part of being human and large I guess. I knew the poor bird had probably been shocked to death by the dogs and me but I had to try to save it anyway. People in need bring out the same side of me the bird did.

I'm glad I care, I'm glad I believe the bird might make it with the help of foster parents if the real ones can't find it. I'm glad I believe that each person here is special and unique and worth loving. I like me that way.

I believe.

******
rainbow
Life goes on. Grief lurks for me in the strangest places but I live and I love and I enjoy it while I have it. God Bless the mate for teaching me that love is forever and thank the Goddess that my heart knows it can learn to love more everyday.

So the blog is updated to now. I have to say the dark place is mostly behind me. He is still never far from me but I am healing and we have things to do yet, he and I, where we are now.

Comments: 2 Comments:
At 23/5/07 8:14 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm glad that you are touched by the critters. So am I.

 
At 23/5/07 10:35 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I am touched by all things in distress or pain.

Not good somedays, I tend to get in over my head.

Cutting a reed to breathe is a good trick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home