3/11/2007

I went down to the river to pray

"STOP here!" I heard it in the middle of a curve. Not just a curve but the second of two tight curves, this one with a train track over it, blocking the view of on coming traffic. And two, count em', two, no parking signs. I went past.

Go Back! I hear three times, each louder so I hit the next left and turned around, went though the curve and turned around again so I was back where I needed to be to pull over.

To NOT park I left the keys in the car and it running. I walked back toward the river and start looking for what I am supposed to see. First there is a dam near, a sound of comfort and a place of meaning to me. I feel myself relax. I see it has a place to sit on it. I see the blue sky, the clouds are all behind me.

Then there is the river. It's down a tall bank from where I am. At the base is a bare place from people fishing. A small stream feeds in on the north over the gravel bank. Someone has put small block steps in but they are icy and snow covered.

I am asking why I am here. I know "to go down to the river" is the answer. I explain about dress up shoes and ice and down hill and dresses and still get, "I will not let you fall, go down to the river."

I move about half way down and slip a little. I see a nice stump with a few leaves hiding it. I lift the leaves to move the snow off and sit there. I try to get comfortable and easy in spirit but I can't. The stump is too short, I am too tall, I'm cocked at the back. I look at the ice on the steps and at the spot by the river and I get up and start the rest of the way down.

I get to the nice spot and look around again. The sun is shining and I hear "The sun is to remind you of me. When you see clouds, the sun is still there. I am always here. " I hear a breeze in the leaves and then it fluttered through my hair and over my skin. I hear, "The wind is to remind you of me. You can not see me but I am always here."

I get it and I leak tears of joy that I understand and I just wrote about the river of love awhile ago so I know the river is the love. I hear, "Take off your shoes and step in the river."

Now anyone from the north knows there isn't much colder than a snow fed stream or river and where the two met I was to stand. I mentioned pnumonia, flu, only March, age, you name it I pointed it out and I just keep hearing, "I am here, step in the river".

I took off my shoes but left my socks on. I took a breath, looked up and walked into the river. It was ankle deep right there. The water ran over my feet from the stream and over my toes from the river. I looked at my feet. I knew they were in the water, I could SEE that, I could FEEL that but it felt like I had my feet in the creek at the shallow spot in high summer.

I looked at my feet some more and said, "Thank you, that feels really goodl" It was only cool and refreshing. My feet were not blue, I was not shivering and my teeth were not chattering. Wow.
I stood there until a truck pulled into the place I was parked in front of - right by their no parking sign - and then walked out of the river, put on my shoes and went easily up the hill to the car.
He washed my feet. To remind me I am loved so much that in the winter he would warm the water or maintain the warmth of my feet for me. He takes care of my every need. I am loved. I love the Creator.

For my reaction to that wow. You had to be there. "I have washed your feet to show you the love I have for you. I am always here."

Later I stopped by a friend's and was telling him about it. He looked properly doubtful and I said, "See?" Then I walked over and stood in his snow.

My feet went right to soggy ground. I stood there, walked out and showed him my feet, not the slightest change. No shivers, nothing.

WOW. I am going out to put foot prints in the front yard now just for the fun of it!

What a blessed day.

Which I did, by the way. Wow!

Each one hear is on their own way back to the Creator. I will see you all there someday.