10/31/2007

Running on empty, running blind

but running on!

The map is for Cyrus. I was eleven miles from the border on 61...the little red star. Now I wish we kept in better touch! I wanted to go to Murfreesboro anyway and didn't. You would have given me a reason. I bet it wasn't forty miles for us to hit halfway. Foiled!

I have been having a fit trying to leave comments all week. I finally got a few on yesterday. You are not all forgotten. I am recovering from the shock of thinking I might have to rip out the cement patio, the cement floor in the back porch and the cement walkway to fix a septic pipe. That was a bad thought; Really bad. The good news is that the pipe is fine! Yay!

I came home from vacation again to find the bathroom non-functional. No worries there, called the nice man who fixed it so well last time and he agreed to repeat his performance as hero of the day. A time was set and all was right with the world; Or would be in a few days. But the snake got stuck. Not just stuck, "How do we get a car in the back yard?", stuck. I was at work when they called with that question. That was daunting.

I told them how to bypass the fence and prayed. Come to find out they had the thing stuck so well that they stretched out the poor snake trying to dislodge it with the car. They used shovels to pry on it with, nothing. Then it snapped. The head should have been left in the pipe. I was told something had to be broken in the pipe for it to hang up so badly. With a cement happy home builder in the past of that house I feared I was facing a massive mess and expense.

Next day a referred septic serviceman returned my call, scheduled me for less than four hours after I called, met me on time, used his magic pipe viewing camera to tell me I was open from end to end - there was no snake head in that pipe. Except for a narrow spot that he then whacked on with his roto rooter to widen I had no problem, pipe is FINE. Then he asked me how much I would like to pay! I named a number, he countered with a lower offer.

I looked around to see if I was on the same planet I started on that morning and gave him a dollar less than my first offer. I had discovered he did all this on a day he would be running a haunted barn put on by him and his wife to raise money for their school. I told him to add what he saw as extra to his charity.

He picked up and put away ALL the tools, he cleaned up his mess and the one left from not closing up the tank then helped me shovel it shut.

I shook his hand as we met and as he left so I know he was real. I have never had such a kind and efficient service call on anything in my life. I don't know if the plumber was a miracle or the head not being in the pipe is but it felt like that. Unreal. Amazing. I was thankful, believe me.

He never made me feel like he was being dishonest with me, never made me feel ignorant, showed me everything he was doing that I wanted to understand and told me about it so I could. I would send him to my Grama's house if she needed his services and know he would be fair and do a good job.

I am at peace about the house again. That alone was worth the fee.

With no net at the house and no trip to town yet I have not posted photos yet and I have a couple posts from Kentucky ready, I just have to get the machine with all the info on line. I will try to get to it, maybe Thursday night.

Jeanette should be calling for her final inspection next week. The house is coming beautifully and she is starting to get excited again. It's finally going to happen, she will be going home again. I am so glad for her! Her kids have their own places now and she will have her home back again to welcome them for visits and still have a place of her own.

Sis has been out riding, #1son in his new home showed me a photo of his wee grand as a poodle for tonight. Ew, way too cute! DIL has been under the weather. Best Girl is watching her hunter go out and her eldest through his first prom and homecoming. Scooter Girl's bunch loves the new house and the kids have made new friends. Eldest Daughter is working a lot from home, that really makes her sad. Mom is on a project or two and busy as a beaver. Shy Girl has some problems but we are praying for them. Too Tall lost his mother, she was 96. He and his girl have broken up, I was sorry to hear that. Tennesse Traveler is still singing. KMA is still laid off and frets about it. I am hoping she gets called back soon. She flunks sitting around, it makes her crazy. My city friends are doing well playing with their grand. My biker friends are trying to get in just one more ride.

All my friends, large and small, seem to be ok. There are a few I am concerned with but I don't know how to help. I carry them in prayer and stand ready if I am needed. Friday I am meeting a friend from high school for dinner. She and I have always been glad to see each other but never had the "catch up" yack. I am looking forward to it. These things are always fun.

So I haven't posted Kentucky yet, but as I keep learning, life moves on fast. I'm still trying to catch up! I hope I get the chance!

Later all, hugs!

Comments: 2 Comments:
At 31/10/07 8:44 PM, Blogger Cyrus said...

Ugh! I'm kicking myself for not calling you. We nearly literally ran into each other!!!

 
At 2/11/07 9:50 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I even went south on 61 into TN a few miles just to say I was there.

Darn that was close!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home