9/27/2007

How sweet the sound

I did something for a friend that was, perhaps, a little bold. I tried to show them that I care when they told me they had a problem. With nothing in my heart but a desire to help I sent them what I could think of that might ease their way. Then I didn't hear from them - until the other day.

I felt so glad to know that they were not upset with me that I cried for joy. I still don't know if I hurt or helped but they accepted that I tried. I am thrilled that we are still friends. I don't have enough to let one slide.

I stick my neck out a lot. You know that if you read along here. Sometimes I have to get a new head but I don't seem to change my behavior. This time it only cost me weeks of wondering if I had offended them or if they understood what I tried to do. I thought I might have really offended them.

Now my heart is at peace and that is something I really felt. I don't want to hurt my friends, I only want to help. I know that sometimes what I think might help seems a little strange. It's sort of like chronic foot in mouth. I call it being me.

What I try doesn't always work. I will almost always try. Not always wisely; not always gently; I won't just go by.

I'll attempt to pull you out even if you're a Mack truck and I'm an S-10. But I might toss you a tow chain and hit you in the head with it. I'll burn the clutch out in the effort. I won't leave you stuck if anything I can do will get you out and I will put it all on the line.

We all hate getting busted or punished or hurting ourselves or others. Half the trouble we get into is trying to avoid shame, pain, embarrassment, or worse, for our actions. If you take an action you have to accept the consequence.

Today's thought is that to forgive (To excuse for a fault or an offense) is not always easy; whether it is for others or ourselves. Forgiving doesn't mean forgetting and so it seems a half way measure to me sometimes.

Then, I thought, maybe it would be better to give amnesty ( a period during which offenders are exempt from punishment) . Amnesty was better yet. No punishment, just come on home. I liked that thought a lot. But there is a time limit included.

I don't want to excuse myself, (to release somebody from blame or criticism for a mistake or wrongdoing ) I want to totally have the event or action removed from my heart and I don't want a time limit on it.

I got carried away again, playing with the dictionary, sorry. Let's not leave out mercy ( leniency and compassion shown toward offenders)

Then I hit the word "pardon". (To release a person from punishment; exempt from penalty). To free myself or another from ever being punished. No record kept, no possible affect on your life or mine. Not a bad word for it.

If you add up all those words and thrown in how relieved I felt in my heart you will understand the word search. I wanted to describe how relieved I felt. None of them was quite right.

If I have no excuse and if I made a mistake, you may forgive me, showing mercy, or pardon me but I will hope to be granted grace (free and unmerited favor or beneficence).

My friend has graced me. How can you show you care more than that?

I understood a little better the power of Divine Grace for the showing of that grace to me from another person. May we all learn to give more of it, I know it eased my heart.

Comments: 3 Comments:
At 28/9/07 7:40 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Intention is very important, and your intentions are good.

 
At 29/9/07 11:14 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

You are a very good friend. Even if your tow chain whacks someone upside the head. :D (I loved your analogies!)

Have a great weekend!

 
At 30/9/07 12:08 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Well, Anvil, you know what road is paved with them, but I aim for the high road.

Hey LOIS! Nice to see you around! Thanks, only it was a truth, not an anology...Just call me clutz, I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home