7/17/2007

Life on the farm is kinda laid back

This morning I had a sudden pity for those that live in cities again. I don't know how you live in such a place and find your joy in life. I know you do, I have city kids of my own.

The little swamp hole I drive by most days had a heron standing in the deeper part and two ducks resting, head to tail by each other, just off shore. In the reeds and on the bank, where the animals come to drink, there was a family of geese walking, five or six, a gaggle. What a lovely thing to see at the start of my day!

I slowed to enjoy it and couldn't stop but it was a quick feast for my eyes. The day is rainy and we need it so, it was what we call, "a good day for ducks". It was also beauty to me because I see the harvest to come will be better because of the rain.

I think sometimes the dark and rainy days in our lives are like that. They seem to only spoil the fun of that day but they are for growing the joy to come later. We appreciate our good times and loves more for a seasoning of hurts and dark days. Our hearts grow more tender.

I think of the river being so low and the ducks out there and the corn and I just want to go for a walk in the rain and soak myself in it.

I had another thought on Sunday that is much the same. Some one asked me once if I ever heard a creek that was out of tune. Of course, the answer was, "No".

My thought was that over the sandy bottoms and smooth parts, the creek runs silent. It takes rocks or trees that have fallen to give the creek a voice. They give shelter and rest from the current to the fish and others that live in them. The prettiest and noisiest places are where the water falls a long way and lands hard. Another voice cries from the narrow, tight places it runs through.

Water modifies the things it touches everyday. Rocks get smoother, the bark of trees washes away. Channels get deeper, banks further apart. It's all there for anyone to see. Each place the creek goes through it makes it's own place and sings what it finds to sing.

Other waters carry their own story, but I like the one I find in my creeks and rivers, the running waters.

I wish you all the joys of your lives, but thank God! I'm a country girl!

Comments: 7 Comments:
At 17/7/07 11:04 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We live in a town, but when I was out in Vancouver with 4 people sharing a tiny apt for three weeks, I realized once again how adaptable people are. We really do seem able make a home in all sorts of situations. Having said that, I'm just as happy to live outside of a city.

 
At 17/7/07 11:08 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I know you are there, gentle friend.

Thanks for sharing with me.

 
At 18/7/07 4:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just the other day I drove by a small lake with swans afloat...and earlier this spring I had to slow down to ensure that I didn't hit the ducks that were standing near the road beside my house...and I know a spot not a mile from my house that they put out food for a herd of deer...all within a huge metropolis! I'm on what is considered the outskirts, but we make our own oasis in the middle of the hussle and bussle...the metroparks and county parks are alive and flourishing with those who want to walk through the woods or walk beside streams. What is hard to find here is solitude. You would have been by yourself if you had stopped to drink in the beauty of the herons, here we necessarily share it between multitudes. I think that is what I miss most about the country is the solitude. That said, after over 20 years of living in a large city, I'd still trade it for the country, any day!

 
At 18/7/07 4:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous also said...grrrfff...sorry forgot to identify myself...this is Reb! I miss you by the way!

 
At 18/7/07 10:52 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

REB! You have been on my mind all week!

I'm thinking Kentucky looks pretty good lately!

Come when you can, I miss you, too.

 
At 18/7/07 11:18 AM, Blogger Debra said...

Hi Val--thanks so much for your comment at my blog! I have been meaning to comment here, just been so distracted the past couple weeks...sigh... on a vacation of sorts). But really, I have been reading here and I *loved* your post about the power of our words! I totally agree, and all the things you said, I believe, lined-up with this verse found in Proverbs: "The power of life and death are in the tongue." And well, I so agree with that, of course! I've seen and experienced that verse to be true over and over--both with good words bringing life and bad words bringing different kinds of emotional death.

Too, I loved your post about the realness of US in relationships. I like to be reminded that with each friend we form a whole new US--that's one of my favorite thoughts, though one I forget way too often (tsk...). Thanks so much for the reminder!

Forgot to tell you a couple weeks ago while I sat at the tiny hamburger stand on the river I wished so much that you were sitting at the table across from me... We lead different sorts of lives and well, from what I've read here I think you'd be an incredibly interesting person to chat with!

Thanks again... Blessings, Debra

 
At 19/7/07 9:21 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Debra, we really have to get together sometime!

Hugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home