2/05/2007

North to Alaska

It might be warmer there. I was praying for a dog tonight. At least I thought that was what I was doing. He is a semi long haired, mostly white stray. He yips like a coyote though. I suppose he could be a coyote. It is under ten below zero here tonight. Wind chill makes it worse. I don't care what he is, it's too cold to be out without shelter and food.

I noticed him Tuesday as I walked my sis to the car. As he barked I made a comment and she answered, "It sounds like a dog freezing to death." I put dry food out front for him that night. I could see he ate some the next day, but not much. I have no hope of keeping water out there for him. It freezes in fifteen minutes. Solid.

Tonight, when I heard him again, I put out fresh food. Then, being the idiot I am, I went out to check it without looking first and scared him off it.

He stopped and sat under the street light's glow in the center of the intersection. I called and whistled. Whitey, Snowball, Snowflake, Smoke, Baby, Puppy - none of the words I spoke moved him to come to me. He got up and walked off into the dark.

He is so cold he can't stop moving long and he can't trust a human. When he thinks he might want to go to a human, even one with food in it's hand, he can't trust his own judgement. He remembers being wrong before and moves away. He is moving away from warmth, shelter, food and into the cold. It's all he knows to do that is safe from kicks and blows and loud words and anger. It's cold but it's safer alone in the dark.

All the dogs tied out alone tonight would lie together in a pile, if they were free, to keep warm. Straw, sheds, barns, none of them is enough shelter in this weather. The only way to survive is in a group of warm bodies.

I put my pads out from my summer chairs, one flat and one upright, blocking the wind, next to the pipe the furnace vents from. It's warm there, sort of. I put hot food in a bowl for him. I went back in, calling as I went.

I check from the windows, more careful now to be quiet. I see no tracks. I will have to go out and bring the food in to heat again soon. I did, I put out chicken for him and dry food that won't freeze. Crap, it's in a steel bowl, I have to change it over to plastic.

Poor scared thing. Alone, cold, hungry, no trust, no hope except for a good trash can somewhere.

Bless me! I was only worried about the white dog. I feel so stupid sometimes.

God bless all the homeless tonight. Humans and animals.

Comments: 8 Comments:
At 5/2/07 5:46 AM, Blogger Coldfoot said...

It is colder there than it is here in the interior of Alaska. Still, our -2 is merely seasonal or slightly warmer than a seasonal temperature. It is so warm outside that my dog doesn't want to come in, and I can't think of a good reason to not let my children play outside in such balmy weather.

 
At 5/2/07 9:34 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ah, the poor thing. What a life for him.

 
At 5/2/07 2:39 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thank you Cold foot, for reminding me everywhere is not like here and we are tougher than we believe.

I love your gentle heart Anvil.

 
At 7/2/07 5:40 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

You are so sweet. I hope he learns that you can be trusted.

 
At 8/2/07 9:42 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thanks Lois, I think it is too late for him and humans at least until he decides to try again.

I keep food out for him though.

 
At 8/2/07 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I hate to hear about animals being out in the cold like this. We had a news story last year about someone who left their dogs outside when it got below zero. One died and the other was frozen to the ground by the time someone came to look after them. That's so cruel! :-(

 
At 9/2/07 6:49 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Val, you are such a good heart!

I hope he comes back and trusts you.

 
At 9/2/07 8:57 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Hello ladies,

I don't think he is coming back, Jean. Ananke I know what you mean. Our animals are in and out side ones but those left out in this hurt my heart.

The animal control officer was cruising town today and I hope he got all the sad ones found. We have a no kill shelter right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home