1/25/2007

Here's a quarter - call someone who cares

Just a note as I get the email, think about the chores I want to do and contemplate the company I will so enjoy later today.

Here in the area where we live I know of at least three millionaires. We have many large businesses, some national chains and more private ones. There are churches with buildings as large as our public schools. There are people who fly out to go to work every day. There are even famous people, known nation wide for their talents. They have money. I will grant that I don't know their lives or their problems but I do know at least one of them is building a miniature railroad in his yard....Another that owns twenty five antique cars. They have spare money.

These are not the people who have responded to seven adults and three children left out in the cold of a January winter. It just makes me wonder. My current liquid assets are under four digits because I cared enough to put anything I had access to at the disposal of a friend I have not even visited with more than once a year since we moved away from them. We are close right now as I keep an eye out to see what is going on. We were close as neighbors before but we were not soul mate type friends, just two women that had similar tastes and loved rural living.

I have helped others after fires with small contributions because small was all I had to give. I didn't always do all I could have because I had my own kids to take care of and bills to pay. I get that, too. If the extra blessings I have been given are not for helping others then what are they for? Retirement? Ha! I know me better than that. Even if I live that long I will always have to work. Savings? OK, maybe I should have some back for emergencies. I usually do. What is it called when your home burns down? All together now - Emergency!

When I think of all the people that have dug down and put out cash help or showed up to work at the house to clean up the terrible mess the list covers the unemployed, factory workers, retail workers, nurses aids, and retired people on fixed incomes. Not that some with other life styles haven't contributed but they are such a tiny minority of who has helped that I was, once again, surprised.

I don't think everyone is blessed enough to have the ability to do what I have had the privilege of doing. They have mates and kids and such to take care of. I am just me and some pets. Short rations for a month are normal for us. That's all I am looking at, really. I will be staying home a little more this month and cutting back on travel that is recreational. Big whoop. Nada. I have had way more experience going without than I have at having so much. It may be why my generous blessing this summer is gone now.

As the oldest of five I had to learn to share. I learned the difference between someone just wanting the toy I had and someone that couldn't play with the other toys, they were not right for them but the one I had was. I fought the first and learned to give it up to the second one.

I guess I won't ever be really rich. I can't see any reason to hang on to lots of money. I can be happy with five grand in the bank and feel really rich because I can get a car, an appliance, or take a trip in an emergency and have money enough for all my bills from my income. I haven't had that much in the bank in forever. The blast this summer went into the home and the futures I invested in. That's what I have done this week, again. Invested in futures.

Today is a little better for my friends and all of their tomorrows will continue to improve as the house goes up, the financing comes through for the home the one boy is buying, and they get back to work because we all helped them.

Believe me, they won't forget. They will go on to help others, like they always have before, with a clearer understanding of why it is important.

Jeanette didn't know it was her own future she invested in when she helped me out in '89. It might be my own future I have invested in by helping others this year. I guess this all started when I wondered how I could make more money to share with others as I have seen another need coming soon and I am about tapped out right now.

I don't believe I should get a cut of someone's wealth because they were able to make a lot of money. I don't believe giving someone what they seem to need is always right. Going without is a learning experience all of us need to appreciate what we have. Even so, I have been going around blessing my roof, furnace, floors, windows and walls since this pointed reminder of how far we came after our own disaster. I also blessed it for being there to share.

I guess I just think people need to look around and realize how much good they could do if they weren't so intent on having the most or the best of something they can't even use. It just sits there and stares at them and gets dusty. I wonder how much dust is on some people's piggy banks and contemplate the point of it.

One "rich" person could put these people back in their home more quickly than 100 poor ones can but we are the ones gaining the riches we can take with us, the love of our family and friends and the joy of knowing how rich we really are in having them.

I woke up knowing that, yes, it's been a year now since my whole life went into ballistic changes. But I was also glad to be having the kids coming that can make it over and the moms and the sister and all. I have friends and family coming because they love me. The mate left me that, too, in a way, I have his family, too. I do miss him. Last night was bad. But now the sun is out and I am loved and rich enough to give away everything I could and know I will be cared for.

Who needs money? I have to get dressed and clean upstairs now. You all have a good day.

Comments: 5 Comments:
At 25/1/07 9:49 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Rich people remain rich because they have a hard time parting with their money. And, in their defense, if they contributed to every disaster, they wouldn't have their money for long.

Still, you would think that they'd be willing to help out families in need in their own neck of the woods!

Why didn't the families have insurance?

 
At 26/1/07 2:25 PM, Blogger Helene said...

wow... I am not even sure what the right words are to type here, but wanted to say something... I guess just to say I hear you and feel your loss through your words. I have had a bad 18 months with loads of death in my family as well... so I have some idea of the feeling.

I am really touched by your ability to see the sunshine and feel the love of the people coming in around you! That is really what spoke to me here.

Have a good weekend. Kate

 
At 26/1/07 4:29 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Saur, I don't know about your area but in ours since Katrina the home ins. companies are cutting their customers and trimming fat. Where they used to insure anything on a basement now they won't insure my garages but they will my home. Why? Ask them.

Jeanette was recently told her site needed grading and such to continue to qualify - which she could not afford - so they cancelled her coverage. The mortgage company did have insurance so the mortgage will be paid off but there is nothing available for rebuilding. They will have the grading and such done as they rebuild and hope to get insurance again when the home is done.

Think rural, blue collar, pay check to pay check single woman with three boys trying to house one family while they saved up for a house and help the other when they moved back to this area from Florida.

It's a thin living here with five factories closing in a three county area in the last two years.

And you know that insurance companies don't want to insure older homes now. Her Dad and Grampa build the place, it's old!

It's so old that the first floor, walls and foundation passed inspection for rebuilding!

 
At 26/1/07 4:49 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's a good thing to care for your fellow humans and to help them when you can.

 
At 27/1/07 1:26 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I know, Anvil, more every day I know we are here to help each other learn to love.

You can't tell anyone anything but you can show them.

I'm working on it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home