1/17/2007

You are my sunshine

Today's post is a frank request for cash support. You, with a few dollars to spare, can bring the sunshine back for seven people in need.

I know a lot of you have faded away this month and through the holidays. We have all been busy. I have been dealing with my personal loss with the anniversary of the mate's passing coming up. It's keeping me busy in my head and heart to get through this is a way that honors his memory, would have him feel proud of me and still function. But life really does go on. You can't ignore some things. I had one of the important ones hit me yesterday. Now I am really busy!

You have heard me mention the fire we had in '89. I said someday I'd tell you about it. First read the following, please.

Weekend fire leaves Orleans family out in the cold

ORLEANS TOWNSHIP - Aaron Stang and his family were staying at his mother's house at 1917 Young Rd. in Orleans Township waiting for his own house to be ready, but a fire on Sunday night destroyed his mom's house and left them all looking for shelter. Arron Stang's family includes his wife and two kids.

"When I realized the fire had started, I ran upstairs and kicked in the door, but it opened the other way. The kids were trying to come out and they were stuck for awhile.”

Orleans fire chief Leslie Doty stated. “The fire was contained to the upstairs, but with the water damage the house was a total loss. It certainly wasn't intentional especially when there wasn't any insurance. When we arrived the upstairs was fully engulfed, and there were flames shooting out both ends of the house and from one place in the middle of the roof,” Doty said.

Doty said his people received the call from Central Dispatch at 10:33 p.m., and Aaron estimated it took about half-hour from the time he made his first attempt to call 9-1-1. Fire units from Belding and Ronald Township helped fight the fire until 1:30 a.m.

That particular area on Young Street is a cell phone “dead zone”. Aaron said, “When I couldn't get through to 9-1-1, I started calling everyone on my speed dialing list to let them know to call 9-1-1.”

“They were about ready to go to bed when they discovered the fire,” Doty said. “There were five adults and two children in the house and they all got out of the house unharmed.”

Aaron's mother, Jeanette Stang, who was just diagnosed with pneumonia, spent three and a half hours outside while the emergency responders were fighting the fire. “She only had her house coat on,” Aaron said. “It couldn't have been very good for her health.”

Jeanette Stang's church is willing to receive any items people might want to donate to the family in this time of need. Reverend Bill Overton of Family Life Center at 8683 Storey Road said he'd be more than happy to receive these items for the Stang family. His home number is (616) 794-0458.


When we burned out on St. Pat's Day 1989 with two teen aged girls. We had one cast iron pan left. As the flames chased us out I called 911, grabbed an armful of coats and, not knowing if my dogs and cats were out or not, I pulled the door shut behind me. The mate, with his wallet, and my purse wearing hunting boots and a robe over his jeans was ahead of me. He hollered "You go meet the trucks, I'll get the neighbors to make sure the call went thru. " I was wearing my house robe and hunting socks. I had to meet the trucks because our driveway was a long two track and hard to find.

I raced down the road in the dark to my neighbor's house. I shout "My house is burning down, I need clothes!" The woman that got out of bed to let me and give me the clothes off her back, have us back over after to feed us hot coffee and run up her phone bill while we decided what to do next. The two boys who watched out for our animals and kept an eye on the place for days after that are the young men in the story. The people that helped us when we burned out need our help now.

Jennette is sitting here at my table with chili and coffee and cookies trying to remember all the places she has to go today.

The following is the letter to the editor I sent to both papers that covered the story.

I am asking everyone who reads this to please, count your blessings today
and then share them with this family.
I was Jennett's neighbor in 1989. In March our home burned. I ran, in my pj's and socks, through the snow of a frigid Saint Patrick's night and pounded on her door.
Jennette has never turned away anyone in need. She let me in, gave me her clothes and shoes, loaned me a coat, made coffee and then came to help us.
Afterward we went to her home, had hot coffee, used her phone for long distance calls and her family watched out for our pets and kept an eye on things for us.
At the time we had no idea how we would pay her back. Now I am able to show her what her generosity meant to us. I have opened my home to them.


With no home of their own yet cash is the best help. With cash they can get the clothes and personal items they need, pay for phone service, buy gas to go all the places they have to and pay for medicine and other needs.

Please give generously.

I have set this button up with my paypal account. It has 6.73 in it. Everything for the next 30 days will got directly to the Stanges. You can use a credit card for your donation.

Help me help them - Please.

Help the Stangs!

Thank you.

Comments: 7 Comments:
At 18/1/07 11:21 AM, Blogger dan said...

Helping out those in need always returns you tenfold.

 
At 18/1/07 3:31 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

It's very sweet of you to make a plea on their behalf.

 
At 18/1/07 10:13 PM, Blogger Janet said...

I think it is important to be sensitive to the plight of others. We have a lot of situations like these with the needy families in my school. I can't give to everyone, but when I do, I feel good about it. I also think it's important to remember to give back if you can.

 
At 19/1/07 9:02 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I agreed with you Dan and the first benefit is how good it feels to be ABLE to help!

I hear a but in your phrase, Saur...it's ok. I do what I feel is right not what others think might be prudent.

I know about the problems with kids in school, Janet. I wish I could do more for the kids there.

 
At 19/1/07 6:56 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well, I've tried twice to make a very modest contribution (solidarity, you know), but although there are all sorts of countries listed in the drop down box, it doesn't seem to like me being Canadian. When I try to select it, it just flips out and reverts back to USA. Funny as I just did another Pay Pal things recently, and it worked. Anyway, good luck.

 
At 20/1/07 10:49 AM, Blogger Cyrus said...

It is impossible to give and not receive.

 
At 21/1/07 11:17 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Anvil I emailed you an alternative but thank you so very much for being the caring person you are.

Cyrus, hugs to you, too! You are right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home