11/08/2006

Another one bites the dust

I got a lot done yesterday, even with the trip to town and grocery shopping and voting tossed in. I was not surprised to find that I was in the minority on most issues and offices. I'm used to it.

The kitchen is not totally done but is useable now, that's a great goodness! I have been moving the microwave and toaster and coffee pot to where I could hit a plug in for several days whenever I had to use them. It's nice to have them all located again. I think I have a couple ways to get the files back inside someplace and to lighten the media load, losing a couple more shelves in the process. The desk is still a loss but I am working on it. I just need to redefine what it's purpose is - holding junk or holding up my computer. Hmmmm....ahhh...junk. I don't want junk, just things I use or enjoy so it may go upstairs for the computer there and then my junk I don't use but may need I can store in it out of my way.

It's been interesting for Sis and Mom to see the house get emptier yet look more comfortable to them all the time. Sis is inspired to get rid of some of her extra "I may need it" stuff and Mom is trying to get started on it. I hope she does, I don't want to have to sort all the tons of stuff she has when she goes! Half of it I just sent home with her!

When Sis got here with her trailer of stuff for the family in need we parked it in the garage and she worked on cleaning the oven while I cooked dinner. She got rid of my latest "catch" for me while I arranged the new stand and moved the stuff from the little cupboad and sorted drawers from the pantry. Only one to go and they will have all been knocked down from junk drawers to functioning storage, wow! What a concept! I got rid of a lot of extra spices and cooking stuff and boxed it up for the family. I don't cook like I used to so why stock it all? It lightened my load and helped them out, I hope.

So all the kitchen cupboards are cleaned, relined, reorganized and less full of stuff. As I get going here they will thin out some more as if I am not using something it's going to go. I kept a few things I don't know if I will use or not; the slow cooker, the canner and the very large pot we used for chili for fifty. I kept the camp coffee pot, too, for when the power is out but I could just pour through the regular pot so it may go later. I retired my no stick pans and will be getting a new omelet sized one but not the other sizes I had as I don't need them really.

I am learning that no matter what "they" keep telling you, less is less - less dusting, less fussing, less hunting for stuff because the less you have the easier it is to find it, less house work is good. Less stress from not being able to find things is good. The More comes in after lightening up; more time for having fun, visiting, helping out my friends and family is good.

I still have paint and painting tools and wallpaper tools all over the place but it's getting used up as we go so it's self correcting. I just have to get it all done and I can give that stuff away or junk it, too. So I am trying to keep moving. I am taking a break right now. I rented two movies yesterday, one the Sis stayed and watched with me last night, I think. I don't know because I fell asleep and she was gone when I got up and went to bed and the movie was over. One I will be watching this morning. I decided I just had to take some time to enjoy what I am accomplishing, even though it's not completed yet, before I dig into the attic storage and the upstairs.

Mom joined us for bible study and Sis's mate, the Bro in Law joined us for dinner. It was just a cassarole and vegetable with some cheese, crackers and dip for nibbling on before but they all seemed to enjoy it. There was very little left for my dog to enjoy!

Bro in law had a project to finish so he left. Study went well and we wound up about nine. Sis and I watched the movie. It was nice to just sit down and chat and relax in the nice living room. The movie was entertaining and silly and fun but I just could not stay awake. I made us some cocoa and when mine was done I faded away.

The bad news of the day really caught me one on the chin. We have some friends that drove from near Detroit to the middle of Michigan to be kind to me and honor my mate for his memorial. They are very busy and popular people. I was so touched that they took the time to come. They contributed to my comfort that day from the kindness of their hearts.

The Tall Man spoke that day, some very kind, touching and affectionate words. He also wrote an article in the state newsletter that tied in the mate's leaving before they got to spend more time together and taking time for your family and friends. It was very well done and I was again touched by his discernment and thoughtfulness.

My friend from TRB called to tell me especially that The Tall Man had died. There were no details but his lady would be hurting. I got the details written down, thanked my friend and then sat down to cry. I was sad for his wife and children, his hundreds of friends and jealous that my mate and he would be partying before the day was out. It's getting to where the balance between the ones I love here and the ones I love there is very close. I think the living out number the dead but I will not count it to see, in case I am wrong.

There was no warning on this one, either. Poof! Another one bites the dust. It took me awhile to lay in a plan and get myself under control again. That stole time from being ready for guests later but had to be dealt with. I called The Lady and we talked. I hope to be able to encourage her to hang on here. She and her man loved like the mate and I though, it will be hard for her.

Tomorrow is the funeral. I will be going, hours and miles of city and interstate driving, which I hate, to be with her as we tuck her best friend away. I will be unable to do anything for her except show her that I am still here and functioning inspite of the temptations and distress my grief brought me. She is loved by many and I know she will forge a way through this. I just wish there was a way to make it easier for her.

There really is nothing to do for someone that loses a loved one except let them know that you care and try to give them what they need to deal with it; do their chores, take a meal over, take out the trash, sit and read a book while they do whatever they must, just so they are not alone. It's such a small list of such small things but I was so confused and disorganized and consumed by the paperwork of his death that all these small things were large in my heart when they were done for me, I know they will help anyone else that is grieving.

I dance with death and the requirements of my life keeping me here still again. Send me strength. I will do the best I can for her.

Today I am finishing up the kitchen more and getting laundry done for traveling, setting up dog sitters and a place to stay, if I need it. It's going to get busy. Right now I am going to count my blessings and watch a silly movie in my nice living room before I have to cope with life anymore.

Comments: 7 Comments:
At 8/11/06 7:24 PM, Blogger Madzillah said...

I'll be thinking about you as you drive. Be safe.

 
At 8/11/06 9:29 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sorry about this passge.

Is your lay-off temporary or permanent?

 
At 9/11/06 6:31 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thanks Mad, I may get to see you soon.

Hi Anvil,

I guess we will just have to wait and see, depends on how business picks up.

 
At 10/11/06 9:00 AM, Blogger Julie said...

You are a good friend, I'm sure you will be much comfort to your friend right now.

You inspire me to clean out all of my junk.

My coworker just lost her beloved. She seems so lost. Thanks for giving me some ideas of how to help her.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

 
At 10/11/06 9:56 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Oh Julie, I am so sorry about your friend!

I think, as I am getting some perspective on the first, hard months, that my best advice is to put off everything you can, let it wait, and just deal with what you must to get by.

Give yourself the time you need to adjust to your loss. Pamper yourself through it as best you can. And ask for the help and companionship you feel a need for from your friends.

My heart is sore for her.

 
At 11/11/06 7:44 PM, Blogger Jean said...

So sorry about the loss of your friend, Val. Having support during such a time is so important. You are a good friend!

 
At 13/11/06 7:32 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thanks Jean! It's kind of all of you. I like being told I am a good girl even as an old lady.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home