10/12/2006

3 o clock in the morning, and it looks

like its going to be another sleepless night.

But Bible study went well. At least the dust wasn't hanging in clouds through the house. The sis stayed and helped me empty the living room and we got the side boards off so the carpet guys could start right up in the morning. I thought they were coming at 8:30. I scheduled it that way to keep me too busy to think.

I got up early after a night of not sleeping. I just couldn't get relaxed or shut my head up. I So I got the place cleaned up and made coffee and let the dogs in and out and listened to the mouse in the cupboard while I cursed the cats. When I did finally try to lay down about three I read an old favorite to try and lose myself in that world's problems and forget the piddly crap in my life.

I rolled out at six thirty. Dogs out, cats in, coffee on, working clothes and ready for the carpet guys. When I got a little frustrated because they were late I called and found out I had the time wrong. Cool. I'm ok now and got a second cup before they showed up, still later than they said - except then I remember I keep all my clocks fast so I am not late...LOL!

Darned if one of them isn't the same guy from ten years ago. And darned if I don't think I got the same carpet again! Wild. They got right to work and I fed the dogs, put them out and left for town. I had a list but wasn't having any luck.

I was mainly headed for the place I bought a chair and some lamps to modify the ones I got to the ones I wanted. I picked up a head board for the bed, too. The poor guy and I did math six ways from Sunday and finally both got the same number. I set up for a delivery that evening and went to the little antique store next door.

I still need a small desk with drawers for me and the laptop and the printer/scanner/copier/fax machine. I saw nothing I liked. I did get the candles (winter power outages), I saw a print I liked and may go get that Friday. I picked up a couple books and then headed back. It was only one p.m. and they were gone. The carpet was in and the furniture was coming - finally.

I cleaned up the worst of the glass they tracked in and put out the few things that were going to be in the room. The sis showed up just after the delivery men left. We started playing arrange the living room and got one section we didn't want to move, then a second. The third area messed with our heads but we just went for it.

The Mom got there and had three of the cushions for the two chairs we painted with her. They were great! But then we had her two cents worth of opinion to add to the fussing. Finally we were just waiting for the last chair and lamps to arrive. Sis left and mom and I went to a Lions Club dinner. That got us a break.

When we got home I called Best Girl and asked for Grand1 to come set up VCR/DVD and TV and the attenna gadgets. We were seated and resting and admiring our handiwork when they got there just ahead of the second delivery.

We peeled the protective cover off the shades and got the lamps assembled while Grand1 got the chords sorted out for the TV. The lamps were all "three ways" and I had just stocked up on bulbs at the hardware that was going out of business. I inched the last chair back and left and right until it was just so, turned on the new lamp and WOW - I have a living room again!

They all liked the new furniture I picked out. We decided I should get the curtain panels for the windows for winter so I have to run up to the store and get them. That will be the last piece of that room. Then I bury it in bedroom furniture so we can wash and paint in there, the bath and the laundry room and have them back to put the vinyl floor in. Crap, more mess. But it looks so good when it's done.

As soon as they left I put covers on the new stuff. I am not going to fight with the animals, I will just pull covers when people are coming. We have always just had cheap, used furniture because we didn't want to worry about it. I am not going to worry and I am not going to put plastic on them , OMG! - but the animals hair is a pain to scrape off everything so I have throws on it all. It's a little more fussy than I am used to being but I really like this stuff and want it to last. The average life of a couch in our home was about two years before we had to recycle it, I won't be getting any more! So old lady covers. (Yes I hate it but yes I really like the new stuff) I just don't want to stress about it.

The Best Girl was beat and the Mom was beat and I was beat but it was done and it looks very cozy and chatty. The TV is on a cart with wheels and shoved out of the way because I hardly use it anyway. I can roll it over and turn it a foot and everyone can see it. The only bad news was they got the door so tight to the carpet I can't get even my plastic runners down so I have a mat next to the door for nasty feet and a mud scraper and a mat on the front porch. It will just have to do. Tonight I will sweep the porch and beat the mats clean.

The covers were on, the dining room was dug back out from the tools and scraps of packing stuff and empty cups and glasses, the dishes were done and I was really tired now. I should have been, no sleep really the night before and worked my butt off. I closed up shop and crashed about midnight. The critters were all in and the nasty cold was outside. It felt pretty snug.

Best Girl called today. The shop laid them off again. She is out working on the bathroom and I have some cash for her. That means the dogs got to go inside and stay warm, which pleased me.

Mom came by with the last cushion and I gave her a check for the cost of them. I have to button the backs on the chairs tonight and those are done. I will be taking some boxes home to pack up the kitchen stuff and get it out, too. We will probably paint the bathroom tonight. I get tired just thinking about it. I really don't want to quit on this though, it's going to be so much easier to care for when I am done. Hit it with the duster, run the vac up the middle, follow with the mop, throw the rugs through the washer and oil the wood. A two hour run and it will all be up. I like that enough to keep working for it.

The nephew called last night. He will be home for two weeks in November and is going to the (really!) Bahamas to work carny down there over the winter. His boss really likes him! What the hay!? He's twenty three, single, and paying his own way, let him party! He is down two sizes in jeans, too, so it's even been good for him.

The Eldest Daughter called and was excited about a new position she will be starting later this month. It's more money and a growing company with people in it she has worked with before that really appreciate her skills.

Scooter Girl called because she knew I would be having a bad day but I missed her and only got the message. That meant she had to listen to her dad's voice on the machine to leave it for me. I think it's time to record a new one. I dropped her an email late last night to thank her for thinking of me.

You can see I have been staying very busy, very. busy.

You have to stay focused on today -
the past will lead you backward.
Your yesterday's have gotten you here
but only today reaches to tomorrow.

Find something to look forward to
each today that you enter
and each tomorrow you make it to
will be a little better.

Those "little better's" will add up
to today's that bring you smiles.
Each of your today's will contain
more laughter and less sorrow.

Hardly thought about him at all. (ok, I lied. I didn't think about him like you don't think about purple dionsaurs after someone tells you not to think about the tune it's a small, small world - all day and all night, but I am ok now, back on track. Forward HO!)

Comments: 3 Comments:
At 12/10/06 11:17 PM, Blogger Jean said...

I like the poem....

 
At 13/10/06 10:43 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

LOL, Thanks, I just made it up on the fly.

 
At 15/10/06 9:21 PM, Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Great poem~
"Your yesterday's have gotten you here, but only today reaches to tomorrow."
Hmmm- I hadn't thought of it like that- I like the image that comes to mind, of a bridge. Today- linking yesterday with tomorrow...and those who were with us yesterday are carried with us into today- and on into the future.

Also- I suppose I will fall asleep dreaming of purple dino's and that goofy song all night! LOL :)
"It's a smaill world after all...It's a small world..." :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home