8/30/2006

Got no money, got no home

Holy Moly Batman! Blogger uploaded a photo!

I was going somewhere else but this is too good a chance to miss. So you get pictures!

This is an oriental fisherman using sand fleas as bait. The day before he caught a halibut. This is Scripps Pier in La Jolla Shores (La Hoya Shores). Kay picked the beach and this was great. We cruised by Bird Rock and the Bay but didn't stop. I did get some nice rocks and shells here.




Next is my 2Tall friend in his front yard. He waters the lawn and the huge rose bushes everyday in the early morning hours before he starts working in the shop on his inlaid wood boxes, chests, coffee tables and such.

One of the surprising things, to me anyway, was that there is a real neighborhood here. 2Tall is on better than just speaking terms with his street mates.

One brought him packing boxes he uses for moving his inlay work to shows, one stopped to talk about his race car, another came over to see if he needed her son to work in the shop on Saturday, as a favor to her, so the boy would be occupied.

The kids run in and out of the house and shop petting cats and asking questions. They all like and respect him. It was a cozy feeling area and nice to visit there.

2Tall's lady, Kay, made my visit even more fun than if I was just playing with my friend in his shop. She is an intelligent, educated and discerning woman with many talents.

She is going to be setting up shows and keeping up mailing lists and the many other chores that go along with being an active artist. She also is just plain fun. She has a biting wit and a caring heart, one of my favorite combinations. With the many talents and skills between them I believe they will become even more well known on the art circuit in the future.

Now I can't get it to take any more photos, darn it! Well, at least I got a few up. When I finish getting the websites all working again I will be able to post more.

Before we leave the vacation behind I just wanted to talk about the homeless people I met. The Starbucks I was hanging at was down in Trolley's End, a little mall type place but all outside. There was a man with a long beard and an eye patch, another with the eye patch and a wooden leg, a teen girl always trying to bum a smoke, but she was under age and I wouldn't give her one, there was a teen boy, a little older than her, I think, that hung out and caged smokes, too.

I saw an article that the St. Vincent De Paul's shelter had had to close down because of lack of funds and it put almost three hundred people back on the steets, some of them pregnant women and the heat was around a hundred both days I was out there. They couldn't afford to run the air all day anymore so they closed up.

I don't have any answers but it made me sad that I couldn't help them more than I did. The one man I did try to talk with was either messing with my head or really out of his, it's a toss up. The girl wouldn't hold still to converse if you wouldn't fork over a smoke. The pirate was too scary looking and the one almost normal appearing man inside the coffee joint was full of paranoid delusions and freaked me out worse than the one that needed a bath and a shave.

I have been there. My first husband wasn't the provider sort, he was a "the world owes me" kind. When I was pregnant with the eldest daughter I was pan handling for food money on street corners. I named my kitten, Allie Cat, after Allie the pizza guy who used to have a "mistake" pizza at least once a night for me to take home so we could eat. I couldn't get work as far along as I was and the man I was married to didn't want to work, he wanted to go to school. It didn't pay well at all..LOL.

We did have a tiny room in a shared house and that kept us from being technically homeless but I wandered on in my future and for almost three years didn't have my own address for mail, just General Delivery in such and such a place. It can be scary out there and you can't get much help, you have to be able to do something. I could always find work, some of them can't work.

I worked at yard work, babysitting and house cleaning from the time I was 12 and when the baby came I went back to work. It wasn't that I couldn't work, it was that I couldn't make much money doing it. Homes take funds. The homeless may have some funds but not enough for a home. I am not usually afraid of them. I guess I am getting old or maybe that one guy was really scary. It just bothered me that I can't fix it.




The good news is the deal for the domain name is done! I have calls to make tomorrow, starting with the plumber for the septic system, the dentist and the optometrist! Then the fun starts! I can't believe it's real! Yay me!

Who is betting I take some time off work this week? Hmmm? Ha!

Comments: 4 Comments:
At 31/8/06 10:21 AM, Blogger dan said...

Wanting to help is sometimes a curse because we can't help everyone.

Know you do make a difference. Some people don't give at all.

 
At 31/8/06 7:20 PM, Blogger Jezzy said...

I'm happy for you about the domain name deal - that must feel fantastic!

 
At 1/9/06 6:12 AM, Blogger B0Z said...

you sound like a great person.....

 
At 1/9/06 9:58 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I think that having been so low on the totem pole that I know most of the people there can get off the bottom with a little help.

Jobs are so hard to come by in Michigan right now that we are creating more homeless daily.

With more than five plants closing inside six months of each other it was just a matter of time.

I don't know why we don't have more shelters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home