8/24/2006

Ride the painted pony, let the spinning wheel turn

is another line from the same song.

I had a relaxing Sunday with 2Tall and Kay. We went out to dinner at a nice place just off the beach and I enjoyed properly cooked crab legs while they had shrimp and fish they liked. The service was scattery but sufficent and the help were nice - helpful, so to speak. Watching the kids play on the beach and the board walk was fun while we sipped our beverages and waited for our meals. The decor was early flea market. They call them swap meets here, but you can't take anything with you to swap!

I know, because for the morning's entertainment 2Tall took me to one down at the stadium. It was pretty much like our flea markets, personal stands of people getting rid of stuff, business stands of vendors who dealt in second hand merchandise and miles of new gadgets, gizmos and whirley gigs for those who think they need them.

I picked up two small "bridge bells"for gifts and a small swiss music box house as a hostess gift. Kay collects many things. I found a book for myself for the flight home. 2Tall got a wood clamp just right for mid range boxes. He had friends there and visited with them while I yearned for my own semi truck to haul the cool stuff on every hand home with me. The eldest daugher is lucky I didn't have one or she would have had a Tiki head of wood for her front yard! LOL! I had to keep reminding myself I couldn't get it all on the plane and pass by some really nice pieces.

Monday I started trying to get things nailed down with my purchaser. Paperwork, meetings, escrow, travel stuff. 2Tall has hauled me around to everything and never complained or asked for compensation. Kay has put up with me sucking up his time when he should be working and still shared ice cream with me every night.

So Monday we had a lunch meeting. The people were an interesting cross section, lawyer, girl friday, owner and tech guy of the company. I enjoyed meeting them and getting to know them a little. They were really all very busy trying to keep it all business while I was trying to make it more personal and winning at it occasionally. The lawyer, I just decided, reminded me of "Carmine Ragousa" from "Lavern and Shirley". Tall, broad chested, black, crispy hair and snappy eyes. Nice voice, too. The owner was sort of like the cop in Blues Brother's 2000 in appearance. I think he could sing, too. Looked like if he liked you he would be very good to you. The young lady was a beauty, I want to say close to "Elaine" from Seinfield but she was much more delicate. Lovely eyes and very vivacious. The tech guy is harder to give you an idea of. Tall, dark blonde, close cut hair, casual dress but full of energy and his eyes are clear and intelligent with an overcast of secrets.

We looked at some papers and made the lawyer start over by changing some of the terms. It was me, I wanted some travel money. I was in hock for everything from transport to the airport and the house funds for the week to eating, wireless access and such here. I wanted to cover the gas used to tote me around here and I needed smokes soon. I was getting too close to broke. I hate to use the credit card if I don't have to.

Once the details were worked out and we all knew what we needed to do we just enjoyed the meal. I listened to the friends, because it was obvious that is what they were, talking about family and events. 2Tall got to plug his boxes and art shows, too. It was ok for a bunch of strangers in a strange place.

I have not been able to get online here with my machine, which was vital as I have to move the same sites I had moved last year. Lots of up and down loading. I even bought a wireless router to try and tap into the cable connection here but the modem is too old, I had to return it. I located two hotspots in the area - Starbucks.

On Tuesday I got up way too early for a vacation and then scarfed down a cup of coffee and got around to have 2Tall take me the mile and a piece to "the office". I got another cup of the good stuff there and got a maple oatmeal scone (oatmeal is good for you, right?) then set up the machine ready to get on line. Not.

I hate XP and it's big nosy brother ways. When I got this machine I spent days reading tips and turning off all the crap in the background that I didn't need on. Seems I turned off the wireless connection scanner. When you life in the rural area I do you don't really need it all the time. Now I couldn't remember how to turn it on.

I dug into control panel, system info and help and I kept coming up with "radio is still disabled, use hardware switch to turn it on". What furking SWITCH!? I had a kind coffee jerk getting me a screwdriver and prepared to remove covers and find it whatever it took when a lovely young black lady interupted and said she thought it was the same problem she had once and it was these two keys - which I promptly pushed and "POOF!" the magic words "wireless network available" popped up!

I had been four hours messing with it and was so grateful to her! She had a newer version of my laptop and we got to know each other quickly. She and her husband had just decided to ride the trolley to the end for an adventure and to market their hand crafted jewelry for the day. I bought a ring to show my gratitude. It was a copper toe ring for a gift.

Finally I was cooking and got to the business of figuring out how to get on line with the wireless server, put my domain in escrow, get the websites uploading and downloading, turn on the new dns servers and all the mess of moving a host domain. It was a major head ache it has been HOT! To smoke I had to be outside. To keep from getting heat stroke and recharge the laptop I had to be inside. Around two I called the house and my kind friend came and got me out of there. I went back at four, and Wednesday morning and that afternoon and for a couple hours today. It has been a hassle for all of us but it got the job done.

Today we signed the papers at the lawyer's office. It's a done deal but until the name is transfered the escrow company holds the fund. It can take a week to clear up. So we wait. But I got the up front I needed to get home and feel like I can square up with my friends that have helped with the house, put me up, taxied me all over and checked on the house and such.

I was homesick by Tuesday. It's too much difference. Trees are wrong, schedule is wrong, weather is wrong, ok, not wrong, just not what I spent the last twenty two years getting used to. I am not the wanderer I used to be and I guess, mate or no mate, there is still no place like home. I will be back there on Saturday night. Yay!

I will catch up with all of you then, I have been having blog withdrawal because I haven't had time to do any reading and almost no writing. See you soon!

I have been overcome by "different-itis", a condition caused by staying in the same place for twenty years. I was homesick by Tuesday and called home a lot. I

Comments: 2 Comments:
At 25/8/06 11:38 AM, Blogger dan said...

People spend entire lives looking for that feeling of home.

Dorothy was right. There is no place quite like it once you've found it.

 
At 26/8/06 10:42 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

It is a true thing. Home used to be where Mom was, then it was a place I never had of my own for years. The mate created it again with me and I guess I still have it, even without him, mostly because of the critters.

Thanks for staying with me on this visit, Dan! Catch you Monday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home