3/20/2006

That's the time you must keep on trying

Time, they tell me, give yourself time. Wait, hang on, it will be better, you can do it. Everything that is not dead changes. Not all change is bad. tick, tock, tick, is it time yet?

I learned a couple new things today I wanted to pass on. I got an email from the mom last night about canceling your credit cards before you die. It was kinda cute and I will post it later...point being that in the snail mail the same day I got an overdue notice from the credit card company stating we had not paid the last months bill and now owed that, plus late fees and that it could affect our credit report.

Now it just happens that I had gotten my free credit reports the day before. I decided that near tax time would be a good time to do that yearly. I had seen that I was being given a little black "x" for not paid on the credit card and was planning to call and talk to them today anyway.

This account was closed two days before the payment was due. The ladies at the place I bank told me I did not have to make the last payment, it would be covered. When I did not recieve a request from the card company for an "offical" death certificate instead of a copy until last week I figured we were going to have a problem. I was right.

Luckily, for a change, the good news is that, after three phone calls and being on hold for 10 minutes, they are going to "re-age" the account, remove the black mark from my record and everything will be hunky dory.

The next thing I learned is that you should also cancel the insurance on unused vehicles as soon as possible. They will send you a refund on the unused portion of the account. It isn't much but every little bit counts. It would have been more if I had done it sooner.

I may have to rethink keeping both cars or really only keep one legal at a time because of the cost involved for insurance and plates for two and the bike. That is not going to be any fun but it's not hard to swap them, you just make a call and change over from one to the other. But do I really need two? It would be convienent to have the back up vehicle but it's not really necessary. It means I would have to sell "little red" the 4wd chevy tracker because the S10 is useful for hauling the bike if it breaks down, the dogs to the vet and furniture and such while the Tracker only hauls me and 3 small people...While they are both covered I will keep them both.

The mate being off this year had time to do paperwork while I was at work. Now I have all the vehicles in my name but I have to redo the insurance for the bike. I took bids today. I don't see any difference in coverage or cost the three places I checked. Some competition.

The house insurance went up for the third year in a row at 200.00 bucks a year supposedly because there was too much activity on my credit report. That is why I checked them in the first place. I intend to front them off about it, it was only checked twice in 2004 when we refinanced the house. I want to know how that constitutes too many credit checks and got my rate raised.

And, third thing today, everyone. No two of the three reports match. So I will be filing corrections to try to get them all to match.

Just a few more things for you to take care of - while you have the time. Tick tock.

Love the ones you are with today for me, I miss him terribly right now.