8/22/2008

He's not heavy

he's my brother.

I just got a call from a friend of mine whose brother has been fighting cancer for several months now. The battle was lost, in one sense, as his brother died Friday. It was won in that the family is rallying around to comfort one another as they pulled together to help him.

This bunch raise just under (an unnamed for privacy amount) to help their bro pay the bills he was inccuring from the medical treatments. They baked, gathered, auctioned, and ran an event that lasted all day. They hauled, set up, hustled, baked, barbequed, and in other ways fed and entertained over 250 people.

They did all this while he was here to see the love they have for him. They did this together.

I can know they will miss him and respect their sadness but I can't be sad for them. This is a family that stays together, plays together and, Monday, they will grieve together, but they will live on knowing they showed their love while they could. Knowing that love is their for each of them while even one other is here to help.

Bless their hearts and say a prayer for my friend. Thank you.

Comments: 2 Comments:
At 1/9/08 11:16 AM, Blogger Fred said...

In the end, families have each other. It's a lesson I've tried to instill in my daughters. They should always take care of us and their sisters.

 
At 2/9/08 9:59 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Go Fred!

I keep telling mine that no matter how different each of them is, they are all they have in the long run - be good to each other.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home