4/10/2008

head out on the highway

Last Saturday I was driving from where I live to the next city north and west of me. I was dressed to ride and had my helmet and gloves right beside me. I was hoping to find a bike for sale, just right for me, that I could get a test ride on. A day that sweet, sunny and warm just screamed "RIDE!!!" to me.

I never saw even one. I got to jam session and there was a bike - PARKED!. Arrrrggghh! Someone had a bike and instead of riding was sitting inside in the dark Inn where we meet.

As I was going in the rider was on his way out. I made bold to speak to him just what my heart desired. I asked if he'd give me a ride and added I had the helmet and gloves in the truck.

The young man smiled and said, "Yes". I almost hurt myself dragging the guitiar over to leave it under the watchful eyes of my friends. I as smiling big as I told them I would be right back and left. They're my friends, they smiled at me as I turned to go, glad to see me with a real smile on my face. It showed from them It's so nice to have friends.

It's so nice to meet new friends, too. The nice young man and I had quite a conversation while he granted me a ride. The V-Star was a little small looking but it had plenty of power. He ran me out to a curvy road and I said, if you're going slow on my account, put your foot in it! He laughed and said he wondered if he was going too fast for an old lady. I asked him if he'd like to sit on the back and I'd show him how it was done! We laughed. He sped up some. The curves were too tight to get real rowdy on.

We have names and thoughts and places exchanged to keep in touch because we found we were both believers. He's a walking miracle. His story is not mine to tell but it was good for me to hear. I think we will see each other again. He dropped me off but came back later to introduce me to his fiance. They are gentle eyed people with smiles and I wished them all the best. I thanked the girl for sharing her seat, she hasn't ridden enough to know it was a special treat. She will though, I think.

Then the music was good and the company fine. The day was too beautiful to ignore. I don't have a bike of my own yet, but I have a truck. I drove all over. I was going to hear a friend's band play later, over in River City. I took the long way over there, through beautiful roads on a fine spring day.

I decided I needed a clean shirt and went shopping for one to wear. I forgot (again) how much I don't enjoy shopping for clothes. I got one, finally, but I was toasted in my head.

It's been years since I lived out of public bathrooms for daily hygine. It was kind of fun to change and clean up there and find I still had the skills I needed. I came out feeling pretty.

The band was good, the lead player is great, the singing fun but they are loud, old r & r. I left about midnight. My ears were sore. My throat was sore from talking over and through them with the friends I hadn't seen since the last time I went to hear them.

It was a good day and I was glad to have it. Never did find a bike for sale on any road I traveled.