8/05/2007

You ain't going no where

Jeanette had a big, juicy steak yesterday for lunch. Her dog and mine were in to enjoy our company but their noses were really enjoying the anticipation of a treat.

Jeanette's old hound, Roscoe, lay in the living room doorway, mostly asleep. My girl, Shadow, contrary to the rule, lay right near Jeanette's feet. Her eyes never left the hand cutting the steak. When I eat they do it just the opposite, Roscoe with me and watching and my dog in the living room waiting. I started thinking about it.

Waiting. I don't do it well yet, though I think I have made improvements. In lines I don't heavy sigh or fidget like I used to. Even if I see a hold up ahead I wait better. I trust I will get my turn. It may not be when I wanted it but I can see it coming soon.

Others might be gripping or whining or sending cranky looks at the cashier. I might try to distract them with a chat about something on the headlines of the newspaper or I might just let them fuss and let the cashier know with a look that I know she can't go any faster and it's ok with me so she doesn't feel like everyone in line hates her.

I know I wait best when I know I am going to get a turn. Just like the dogs, Roscoe trusts Jeanette, he waits patiently for her to call him. Mine feels like she has to sit there and remind Jeanette that she is waiting, too. Jeanette and I always split scraps and treats fairly between our friends but the one that looks to us trusts and waits and the other one begs us not to forget.

When we can't see our turn coming or we are waiting on something unfamiliar to us, people are the same. The ones that trust wait easily, the ones that don't make a fuss.

So I am trying to learn to wait and trust from the living room of my life to see what I need will come to me when the time is right. To believe, even though it's new to me, that I will get a turn and the needs I feel will be met.

I may not see how any thing will change and I may not understand the wait but that is the part where you have to learn to trust the guidance in your heart. Mine still says wait even though I might think I should pick a new direction that might look greener, so to speak.

I continue to do what has worked for me but I am seeing the changes I am going through. They just mean I am alive. Life is change; but some parts of life are waiting until, at the right time, you start moving on.

The trick seems to be knowing which to do when. It's something I am still working on. Right now I am still at wait, but the day is coming when I will get a turn to jump back into things again and I am trying to be really ready.

Comments: 2 Comments:
At 7/8/07 10:11 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ah, lessons my dog taught me.

 
At 8/8/07 10:08 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

LOL! Cute Anvil! This is the second one of several the dogs taught me.


Now I have to blog em! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home