7/27/2007

Can't get back to you

Backs came up in the conversation last night as I talked with Jeanette. We were talking about hurts in our friends. She spoke of a carbuncle she once saw, I spoke of one Mom mentioned last Tuesday, on the back of Dad's neck that went so deep that when it was removed and healed you could still feel the hole.

The idea was that it takes a friend to see we have a problem with our back and it takes someone besides ourselves to fix it. You have to trust them with your back. You have to turn your back on them, make yourself vunerable, to have it fixed or even scratched.

She said "we can't see our backs either" and I saw that was mostly true. You can set up the mirrors to see it, but you still can't reach it to fix it without help. It takes two.

Interesting to me was that we can't see behind us. Can we see our pasts? Or have we taken hurts from there and filed them in our hearts without giving them a good look?

So often when we care and then it fails we take it to ourselves and accept the blame because we don't think the one we love can do anything wrong. It really is the truth that it takes two to make things work out. Even when you don't want to see it sometimes the one you love screws up, too. Sometimes they dump on you and then you take it to your heart and you feel you failed or should have tried harder. It lowers your view of yourself, lowers your self confidence and you show that by how you treat yourself.

When we show our past to others, they may see it differently. They may have a word to share that shows it to you in a different light. They might even be right! You reconsider your past in the light of your friends eyes and see that maybe you are carrying something that wasn't because you failed. It was because it takes two and you both gave up or even that the one you loved didn't have what was needed to work it out with you. You may have really done the best after all, in that particular situation.

Those tags that stick out and collars all twisted and the itch we get where we can't see it all take a friend to fix for us, one we can turn our back on. It takes one that we can trust to care to share our past hurts with and get, perhaps, a new perspective on them.

I have friends I trust with my back. Not as many as when I first counted. To really turn your back and walk away when they know so much about you takes an act of faith. To leave your truth where it can be shared about you, that takes trust.

The one's I say, "I have their back" to someone are the ones I will do anything for. I have my sisters, the Mom and a few friends that I say that about. It's how I say I love them. What ever I have is theirs.

Who do you turn your back on and who scratches it when you itch? Which people will always tell you that you picked wet paint to sit on? When you have a problem, who do you see for comfort and even if it's just ten bucks, who says, "Never mind, I 've got it!" ? The friends that love you do.

Having a front is wonderful and I can hide a lot behind one. But the truth sticks out to those I trust to turn my back on.

Comments: 9 Comments:
At 27/7/07 2:11 PM, Blogger dan said...

I love having my back scratched. That's how I know when someone likes me. lol

 
At 28/7/07 9:12 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

That is my weakness, my back craves a good scratching!

 
At 29/7/07 7:50 AM, Blogger Cyrus said...

Another super post!!

 
At 29/7/07 5:29 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Cyrus!! Glad you are still around!

Thank you for the kind words!

 
At 31/7/07 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah that's sooo true. But I usually end up being the back scratcher not the scratchee. ;-)

 
At 1/8/07 9:08 PM, Blogger Kira said...

I agree. Also, though, sometimes we have something else on our backs...something good about ourselves that perhaps we can't see. There was a cute anime I watched with my daughter called Fruits Basket, and the lead character said that people were like rice balls. Now, Japanese rice balls can be plain, or they can have something with the rice. One special treat is a rice ball with a plum stuck on one side. The character said that so many people wander around with a plum on their backs and just can't see that wonderful part of themselves, so it's up to the friends to point it out to them. I liked that idea. So did the kids. We now use it to compliment each other..."I see a plum on your back!" It also got them to try plums...haha!

 
At 3/8/07 8:19 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Hey Ananke, good point, note 2 self, turn about is fair play..

Hi Kira! That is what I meant about going over our pasts with each other. Maybe it's not the way we see it at all, with the loving eyes of a friend on it there might be a plum in it!

Thanks for dropping in, I miss ya when you're gone!

 
At 4/8/07 10:47 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

I love this post! I used to be very mob... back to the corner. I've grown to trust and it's kinda nice. :)

Hope you are doing well and having a great weekend!

 
At 4/8/07 4:13 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

LOIS! LTNS!

Thanks for dropping by and the kind words!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home