4/19/2007

Think I'm gonna have a son

It's funny just how quickly you can go from a trusting spirit of love in a human body to going, "Shove over and let me show you how this should be done, Creator!"

My #1son, the truck driver, woke with abdominal pain yesterday. He called his wife and she brow beat him into going to a hospital in northern Illinois. He could not drive and took a cab to the ER. Once there they said he had a gastro intestinal infection, put him on antibiotics and gave him some pain pills. They ran him through some tests, just to be sure, and ended up taking out his appendix last night. I had two messages on the machine when I got home from work from #1daughter in law telling me the bare bones of this.

I had my appendix rupture when I was 12. I know how bad peritonitis is. I know how severe the pain is just before that happens. I know how it is to be alone and dealing with being too drugged to be coherent. I don't believe anyone should be alone and doing paperwork on drugs in a hospital. I think hospitals are a great place to get really sick from mersa, staff and strep infections. I was Not happy. Now what?

Knowing that all life is treasured and each form of it cared for in the best way to bring it willingly back to the creator I prayed for healing for my son and safety for his wife as she drove to join him - NOT!!!!!

I called until I found the right hospital to discover he was already in surgury. I called his wife and gave her the contact numbers. I called my mom and my sister and my Eldest Daughter and Best Girl and anyone else I could think of to get the prayer wheels spinning.

I had my clothes in the washer and was digging out my credit card to go flying to his side and leaving messages to see if Eldest could get there first, she is a little closer. Pretty much I was just out of control and ramming on down the road to get to the boy I love. About half way through the first round of calls I realized I was getting even further out of control.

Until the spirit of Scotty perfects the transporter I wasn't going to be able to get there even by the time he was out of surgury. There were other people and hands taking care of my son. He is 32, not 12. His wife is who should be at his side.

My place is back up to their team, not team leader. If they have car trouble or get messed up traveling I can fetch the car hauler and get them home. If they can't get home for some reason I can get the dog or the #1grandgirl and keep them if needed.

I sat down to the table and hung my head. Then I cried. I realized why I was blowing up and crashing. Dad went in '02, stepDad went in '03, the mate is just barely gone in '06 and my only son is down and I can't really get there and I can't change anything if I do get there and I didn't like it one bit.

Then I prayed. I didn't dicker but I didn't beat around the bush. I wasn't going to like seeing my grandgirl lose her dad and my daughter in law lose her loving mate. I know I was over reacting but I know what infections are out there and how wrong "just an appendix" operation can go.
Just leave me this young man in my life please. I am lonely now. This one makes me laugh, leave me him, please.

And today, in the beauty of the sunshine and the reality of the DIL getting there safely the stress is off. He is fine and - barring infections - going to be back up and around quickly. They should be just fine coming home tomorrow or whenever.

My panic seems amusing today. Silly Moms, ya know. Except to me it was such a tearing at my heart need to do everything I could to be there for my son and his family that I was half out of my mind.

I guess I still have some growing to do.

Comments: 6 Comments:
At 20/4/07 10:33 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Your panic... amusing today, perhaps... but completely understandable.
Good thoughts and prayers sent for you and yours, dear lady.

 
At 20/4/07 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, now that's what I call a stressful day! I'm glad everything turned out OK. :-D

 
At 20/4/07 9:50 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thanks Ladies!It's fine now they are all home safe.

 
At 21/4/07 3:12 PM, Blogger Cyrus said...

Over-reacting? Nope. Don't think so. Good mothering to the one who makes you laugh so much? Yep.

 
At 23/4/07 8:45 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

TY Cyrus! You have a point there.

 
At 24/4/07 8:51 PM, Blogger Madzillah said...

Nope not over-reacting. You never have to (or get to) give up the title of "Mom".

Aide-de-camps help those team leaders IMMENSELY; the leaders appreciate them being around!!

Glad everyone's ok. Give them love.

LOVE TO YOU!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home