1/11/2007

Jan 11 - Oh, dear what shall I do

baby's in black and I'm feeling blue...

The day before my birthday was empty and dark. I am not sure why I could plan ahead for other hard days this year but let my own day just happen to me. I guess I didn't think that it was yet another day the two of us made special and that not having my mate would be underlined in all caps and large print on my heart.

But I did something different. I didn't sit and wallow. I made myself get dressed and go out. It was just to the pub but it was out with people.

I greeted the owner and my friend the waitress and the bouncer and the cook and ordered food, enjoyed it and sat sipping my coffee. I looked around me. The band was setting up, the DJ for the night was setting up. Their friends were helping them. Two men were shooting pool and drinking a pitcher. Others were chatting at their tables. Not one of them was smiling.

There ya go. A truth. No smiles. I watched a while and saw that when they directly contacted another person by eye they would smile but when just being there, sitting, their faces drooped and their minds went somewhere else.

I thanked my waitress and tipped her with a sincere smile, I love not doing dishes so it was easy. She was still smiling as she waited on the next table. I watched my smile to her go around the place once and then I was sitting with a smile on my face.

It was so funny to watch people feel better just for a minute from one smile.

What went around, came around, so to speak.

Send a smile out today! You might get one back!