1/05/2007

Jan 5 - How do I love thee?

How you love someone depends on who you are loving. Right?

I don't know. Maybe my love is so oriented toward male/female romantic love I tie it all up in my relationships with my partners and don't love enough for kids and family and friends because we only have to love them a little.

That doesn't sound right.

If I can learn to show my love to all the people I love the same as I showed my mate what would that do?

I would see their needs and fill them. I would hug and touch more often. I would contact them more often. I would - ... be really busy trying to love them all the time. Everyday. When I couldn't be with them I would be thinking about them.

If we were all busy sharing love we might not have any time to get blue and lonely and sad and we might find out we had more love to share than we thought.

Social rules for "appropriate" loving touches have done much to teach children to limit the love they show others. Who can resist a grand running to jump in your arms with a big smile and a little hug and kiss? Not many. Then we have to not touch as we get older if we are opposite gender grand parents. That limits the love we show them, too.

Sharing the love we have with more than our mate brings more love into our lives.

As noted before, love multiplies, love never divides.

Comments: 2 Comments:
At 12/1/07 9:01 PM, Blogger Kira said...

I come from a very touchy-feely family, so we do manage to have a lot of contact. It's not atypical for my six year old son to creep into our bed in the morning, crawl up, and throw himself between us for hugs and kisses. My nine year old still requests "snuggle time," which usually just means she sprawls out on my side while I rub her forehead and play with her hair. Alex has added into the equation his French behavior of kissing on either cheek, which the kids know we do in France to everybody we are close to, but just to family in America.

I just feel that the inherent need to be TOUCHED--and not even in a sexual manner--is so strong that we build healthier relationships with family by constantly touching an arm or hugging or patting on the back. Sure, I obviously give a LOT MORE physical attention to Alex, but I think that touching is important to any close relationship.

I'd like to think that my kids get as much attention from me as Alex does, if not more because we often give it together. But it's absolutely true that I'm "this family unit" oriented. I have so much to give, and by the time I'm done with Alex, Ariana, and Jared, the other close family members plus my closest friends just don't get so much of me! Oh well.

In the end, loving with whatever we've got is the best we can and should do.

 
At 13/1/07 7:04 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I think you are right, Kira. My mind just shuts off when I try to contemplate really loving all the people here. Wow.

So we love the ones we are with, that come in contact with us every day.

I am trying to stay in better touch with those I love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home