1/04/2007

Jan 4 - Got my bindle over my shoulder

All you can take with you is what you leave behind. Now there's a thought for you.

All the "things" and places and cars and bars and homes and fishing spots are going to stay right here when you move on to the next life. It does no good to leave statues and buildings and even words fade with time like water worn sandstone.

The place to store things that are important to you so that they are safe forever is in the hearts of your people here. That is what you take with you, the comfort of knowing your love is still here working for your family and friends to make their lives easier in the long run.

My son called the other day to tell me he had stopped to change the tire of a "little old lady" who had a tire blow out right next to his truck while they were going down the freeway. He knew it would bring joy to my heart to know he took care of someone else's mom when she needed it. He also knew that it would make me smile. Mostly though, even if he doesn't know it, he called to say, "See, I was listening and I believe you were right to teach me to take care of others in need." I was so proud of him.

I will be leaving behind a man who will take care of and love others and daughters that will love and care for others and neices and nephews and sisters and friends that will love and care for others. And they will teach their children to love and care for others.

I can take that with me. It's like love in the bank.

Comments: 9 Comments:
At 8/1/07 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to see the 'payoff' of all your hard work.

 
At 9/1/07 12:00 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

A chip off the old block, a fine old block but not a block head.

 
At 10/1/07 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's a great kid you raised there. :-D

 
At 10/1/07 3:02 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thank you all, but I am not so much bragging up my kid as I am the great grama who plowed the neighbors fields, the grama who stayed up all night with four girls with chicken pox while mom had the baby and the grandpa who helped his daughter get a house and the mom who worked all day and still sewed dresses for us at night that taught me to care for others so I could teach the boy!

 
At 10/1/07 3:02 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Hey Jane! Thanks for being here.
I will catch up with you all soonest.

 
At 10/1/07 3:36 PM, Blogger Cyrus said...

My boyfriend's father recently turned 90 and the whole family threw a big surprise party for him at a beautiful old theatre, in Syracuse, New York. As I stood in there, surrounded by about 100 of his, and his wife's, children, grandchildren, great grand-children and all of their spouses and partners, I was just overwhelmed with the realization that 2 people could create SO much love in the world. Everyone there was just good people, and to be able to look back on your life at 90 years old and see that kind of accomplishment...it's just beautiful.

I know that at your 90th, you'll understand.

 
At 11/1/07 12:24 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Lucky me, Cyrus! I don't have to wait til then, I get it now.

Almost 250 people were touched by me or the mate in our time together enough to come to his service. If they do one kindness to one person that does one kindness for one person.....

Love always multiplies, it never divides.

 
At 12/1/07 9:15 PM, Blogger Kira said...

Yes, that's how I feel about my daughter. She has so many fine qualities that society would appreciate more, like her intelligence and stunning good looks! haha! But honestly, where I am most proud of her is that she is so generous and thoughtful and helpful. And I think much the same thing: I leave behind a girl who understands that the key element of this world is to show compassion.

And you can count me and Alex as two folks who were very much affected by your relationship with your mate :)

 
At 13/1/07 5:45 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I heart you Kira, thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home