1/07/2007

Jan 7 - Well hello there, it's been a long long time

I am comfortable talking to people waiting in line at the check out. I know a lot of the "public manners" require you to ignore others conversations. Some times I can, sometimes I can't...I've had some pretty strange conversations with strangers and it's usually fun for both of us. The mate was appalled at how easily I would start up a conversation with strangers.

I have seen that people with nothing more in common than that they ride the same type of motorcycle will be come good friends just by spending time together and getting to know each other.

Total strangers will tell each other jokes and sing along with a good entertainer that knows how to break the ice for them. It's taking the time to get to know others that lets us learn what kind of people they are.

A neighbor's girl used to play with my kids a lot. One day Eldest Daughter came home crying because her friend was moving. To make it easier for her I told her I would find out if they would be close enough to visit or get an address and they could still be pen pals.

I got over there and this Mom, a frumpy old lady (visual impression) was really only a very hard used 20 something that had been dealing with a lot of the same problems I had. We talked four hours and wished we had gotten to know each other sooner. They were moving too far to visit to get away from a violent ex-husband.

Now I was upset! We could have been friends for a whole year! I got an address. We wrote a few times and life slid us apart, but we helped each other through some hard times. That's a friend!

My whole life with this mate started over again because I said "hello" to him. So don't pass up people who may be friends for life or more. Take those chances, stick those necks out. Meet someone doing something you enjoy, say hello, smile at them! Get accquainted!

Smile and say hello today to those you met.