11/13/2006

Even cowgirls get the blues

There is not much to tell today. It's been gray and rainy all weekend. I have been digging deeply into the stuff around the house and the mate's things kept sneaking up on me. It made it more dismal than it needed to be. I tried to keep moving ahead.

I think a lot of it was thinking of my friend's wife and her dealing with the first days and nights of being alone again. It brought back the confusion and grief I went through and I had a time shaking it off.

I helped get some household stuff together Saturday and delivered to a family of six from my family, friends and my most willing to get rid of it self. It was a trailer, a truck and a couple things in my little truck and I felt very good about it. I like the warm fuzzy feeling of making more than one person happy at a time. I was happy to have the help to get stuff moved out of here and they were happy to have it and my friends and family were happy to help and get rid of some of their stuff. Lots of happy thoughts.

They were nice kids, too and the dad was very interesting as he has one still in school and the one with the kids both living with him right now. He was not out of his mind from four grandkids running around the house yet. He must have might reserves of mental and emotional strength!

That took up most of Saturday. Sunday I puttered a little but I had woken with a sinus headache. I tried to ignore it, I'm a little frustrated with not feeling up to par with the flu and such, but when the nausea started I gave up, took some meds and went back to bed. I slept through the Lions game but have it on good authority that the bag must go back on. Best Girl is not feeling well and didn't come out this weekend. I hope she gets over it quickly, I hate to think of her all icky feeling.

I moved some things and repotted my one plant from the mate's memorial into four new pots. I will try to keep them alive. It did well in the south window of the dining room but I can't put it back there, they are all too large for the table. Light is the big problem here. There are awnings over the windows and while it saves on cooling costs it blocks a lot of light. I would like to take them down in the winter but I can't figure out the mounting arrangement. Probably I can't lift and move them alone either so they just stay there.

The nephew, B1son, called in. He will be over in a couple days to stay and do a few things for me. I am hoping we can get the last storm windows up and the front porch roof sealed. It leaked the other night in the big rain we had. It's never done that before. I think it got walked on when the gutters were going up.

I will be making a nice, traditional dinner for Thanksgiving here and two of the kids and families will be coming. Scooter Girl and her mate have to work so I will have them down on Sunday and as many as can make it again. It will be nice to see them all as we haven't had much time to visit.

I was hoping to get the boards cut for the bookcase but now I may wait until the nephew comes as he is a better trained carpenter than I am. I have to relocate the desk to make it work and I think it is going in the bedroom for now. I found a chest of drawers and it just happens that they match each other in style and color.

The stoner cat came in last night with an open wound on her left rear quarter. I can't tell if it was a grub and she gnawed it out or if it was a bite from a fight but something got a chunk of her. I wanted to flush it with peroxide but couldn't find it (really need to get the bathroom supplies sorted out). I did get the special, cures everything silvadine cream on it. It hurt her to even touch it carefully so I just took aim with a big gob and touched it to her. Enough stayed to make me feel better. I hope enough stayed to make her feel better. It's not nice to look at and even less nice to feel from the inside, I bet.

Today I am starting the upstairs hall ceiling and the trailer is supposed to be returned. I gotta run and get the ladder and paint and such around. Hope you all had great weekends. I will catch up with you tonight on your blogs.

Comments: 2 Comments:
At 13/11/06 3:16 PM, Blogger kateandjona said...

Hugs, Valerie. I know how difficult it can be when a friend loses a spouse - it really does bring you back to those early days of grieving. My thoughts are with you.

 
At 13/11/06 7:31 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Yes, but you are recovering and I totally heart the smiles in your story lately.

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home