9/25/2006

When autumn leaves start to fall.

Like I told Fred in the comments yesteday, fall is the time notherners start getting the nesting urge to make their homes snug and cozy for winter. We know we will be more limited in our travel, sometimes even homebound for days, and we know the cost of heating is going to be high again this year so we are getting the storm windows out, covering the gaps at the bottom of our doors, tossing out the old stuff we have worn out and putting in new to keep us emotionally satisfied with our space and just in general tidying up so we can relax.

Entertaining drops off for bonfires and music fests but now we have card and board game parties and the holidays to prepare for.

I spent Satuday alone, sorting paperwork, emptying dresser drawers and such. Buck is still not eating right so I made up some of Grama S.'s homemade food for him. Still barely ate any. I got him to take some milk though. Timone continues to improve.

Sunday I spent with Best Girl, she was just coming to pick up some more stuff I am getting rid of and take it out for me. Then she really screwed up. We were talking about the next steps in getting ready for flooring and she says, "I'll bet this wall paper comes off really easy."

She then proceeded to demonstrate and we spent the rest of the day, over the background of the Lions game and then the next, pulling and scraping off the wallpaper. What a furking mess! It's all over everything. And I either really irritated my throat and sinuses with the dust we made or I have managed to catch cold a month early this year. I have a very sore throat and stuffed head this morning.

I really love the song I have been quoting the last couple weeks. The reason I didn't end it with yesterday's post is because inspite of losing my mate, life continues to draw me forward through the changes I have to make to be comfortable and try to be happy again here on the planet.

So I have given in to the winter nesting urge and we are now yanking the place apart as fast as we can. I had one family over for endtables and the recliner yesterday, they are coming back for the entertainment center and probably the pool table eventually. I still have the couch to get out of here and am flip flopping on the one side chair. It's really comfortable but needs cleaned and/or recovered to go with the new stuff. That just made up my mind. It goes. I have enough I am keeping or have coming new. I don't need it.

Be sad, grieve, let your hurt out - but "endevor to presevere". You can't live in the past forever. You have to keep changing and growing to stay alive. Hating the changes is even ok. But anything that isn't changing is dead. I'm not dead yet. I will hang on as best I can to the love here and make a new life for myself.

There, that's my cheerleader post. Now I'm am off to cry my eyes out because I miss my mate.

Comments: 6 Comments:
At 26/9/06 11:38 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Valerie, I so admire your strength.
Obviously, the love you shared with your Mate is a big part of what is keeping you going forward.
Be proud of yourself...he would be.

 
At 27/9/06 9:21 AM, Blogger Cyrus said...

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and the thing I miss most is this time of year...changing leaves and crisp autumn evenings. I loved that cozy, pulling everything inward feeling that fall brings.

Aw..now you got me all sentimental.

 
At 27/9/06 12:52 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Hey Jean, It is not strenght, it's inevitability - I'm not dead so I have to be alive. That means changing and moving on with life.

Kicking and screaming all the way.

Hi Cyrus! come on up! Lots to do here and you can go on a color tour with me next week.

 
At 27/9/06 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a feeling your mate would be proud.

 
At 28/9/06 9:29 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yes, we still have some chores to complete before the snow flies.

 
At 29/9/06 8:44 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thank you Coll, and you are right there, Anvil, I haven't even mentioned yard work or storm windows....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home