11/10/2005

He's large.......he's myyyinnee.....he's large

Popeye is one of the mate's favorite movies and Olive Oyl's song, while she really doesn't love Bluto, finds two good things about him to celebrate. Neither she, Bluto or Popeye are socially beautiful people. Popeye loves Olive and she (usually) returns the feeling.

When the mate and I met up after 14 years of not seeing each other since high school we were not wearing the same bodies we had back then. I had been depressed and lost many pounds, I was the most slender I will ever be and about 30 pounds lighter than high school. He had worked out in the Army, built himself up a weight lifter's bod and then let it slide during the last ten years.

It didn't matter to me. I looked into his hazel eyes and saw the boy I loved inside the man facing me. I didn't need to know anything else about his life to love him. He lost an amazing amount of weight as we courted. It was nice, but it didn't matter.

I had been with enough "good bods"to know what they could do for me. Temporary thrills and see ya later! I had never been loved in return. There were a few who thought they loved me but they rarely treated me like they loved me.

It took me way too many frogs to find my prince but when I found him I was smart enough to KNOW it was my prince and to work to keep it precious. Same for the mate. He treats me like a queen often enough that I feel treasured by him. I hope he feels the same from the way I treat him.

We have both put on weight over the years, especially the last four while I have been laid up and he has been staying with me to take care of me instead of outside playing. While we might like to be more svelt it just doesn't matter. That's my man and I am his woman. We see the person we love and who loves us, not the bodies containing them.

We have a solid, true love.

That is where I am trying to go with this post. Judging by appearances. The niece was injured in the face in Iraq. Her fiance' at the time didn't care. They married happily ever after. One of the nicest girls in my school had a large birthmark on half her face. Those of us that knew her never saw it. She married happily ever after. One of the prettiest girls had a withered hand. She some times ran others down to feel better about herself when she was younger. She was single last I knew.

Choosing mates based on what your peer group sees as beauty is dangerous. "I wouldn't be seen with that DOG!" thinking makes you miss out on some of the finest friends you may ever have. Hormone driven mentalities looking for dates with beauty as their first criteria will find high levels of disappointment.

When you first start out falling in love it's all hot and sweaty and now. When you have been in love for five or twenty five years it's all in your heart and soul. The sweaty stuff is better than ever but isn't as important as loving each other every day is. When you truly love looks are no longer your primary measure of a person. Because looks don't last. Your soul, aura, personality, is what you take to infinity and beyond with you and what your mate has to live with forever.

<-you see you get ->


<- you see you get ->

It's hard to remember this so I found another little graphic for you to remind us that we are ALL alike under our skins. We hate, we love, we play, we sing, we laugh, we care, we get angry, we are happy, we help others and skin is not only just skin deep but it really doesn't count.

your real self You really have to make an effort to get to know someone when it's not their booty but their heart you are after. Hormones and electrickity (on purpose) drive our search but it's not a WYSIWYG world.

I think it's why we close our eyes when we kiss, so we feel the love or lust and know it for what it is.

So next time you are picking a date online, look for the one with the friendly, happy eyes and maybe a little less at their overall appearance and see if you have a nice time with them.

Comments: 6 Comments:
At 11/11/05 4:51 PM, Blogger dan said...

That's one of the nicest, most genuine things I've ever read. Mostly 'cause it's true.

Someone to look at is all nice, but it's not like having someone to connect with... which is why I'm sure the couple you helped wanted to give it another try.

The real difficulty is once you've found that connection, to maintain it. Because like anything else, it can whither without proper care.

 
At 11/11/05 9:35 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Well said. We have a student at school that was burned very badly and had to have reconstructive surgery. She has had to overcome much pain, both physically and emotionally. All you have to do is talk to her for a minute, and she'll have you laughing.

Teenagers, unfortunately, haven't learned the lessons you've articulated so well, so this young lady is having a very difficult time right now.

 
At 11/11/05 10:49 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You are full of wisdom my dear, and this blog expresses it beautifully. An A+ blog for sure.

 
At 12/11/05 11:29 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

*blushing* How sweet of you all. And Fred, print it and give to girl's classmates/friends as a helpful handout.....sure, teens are ignorant, but they don't have to stay that way....

Ty Dan, I'd post pics to show us at then and now but don't use real self here.

It really is true.

 
At 13/11/05 10:55 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

PS Anvil- it was your post that led to this one. I guess I want to make it crystal clear to people that while you love me here, you might never choose to speak to me in real life because of "appearances" and then we would never have been friends.

And wouldn't that be a shame? So how many other friends are you not meeting?

 
At 19/11/05 5:30 AM, Blogger Indri said...

The last few years of my dad's life, when the chemo kept taking his hair and rapidly aging his face and body, my parents got closer than they had been in forty years of marriage. A lot of the dross burned away, you know? And what was strong and good between them became more obvious.

I'm grateful for the lesson. In my own life, I've noticed that the people I've been really connected to emotionally have seemed much sexier to me than some of the ones with "hotter" bodies. My eye for men at 35-almost-36 is so much different than it was ten years ago...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home