10/31/2005

Oh, we ain't got a barrel of money

But we have fun anyway! Last Saturday the mate treated us to a night out. Very date like. We left early and drove around soaking up the last of the fall colors and the green fields of winter wheat. They will be gone all too soon, buried under billows and drifts of the nasty white stuff.

We stopped at a family style diner for dinner and enjoyed it. We haven't been getting out much - budget ya know. But the food was good and the prices are reasonable there. With plenty of time yet we went back out cruising.

Along the river in a a town not far from home we found the lovely weather had others out doing the same thing. There was a line for the one lane covered bridge and another at the corner to get back to town.

We needed a few things so we stopped at the Goodwill and the dollar store to pick them up. I found a neat gift for a friend. I have to get it in the mail yet. I also found one book to read later. I am always "out of books" but I keep the re-readables around for times like that. It's nice to get something new in fantasy or SciFi.

I am looking for one called "Eldest" now. It's second in a series by a 19/21 year old male human. The first one was great entertainment. "Eragorn" I think it was called. The mate picked it up for me at (OMG) Kmart and I was not expecting much from it. It was a great surprise to find I not only enjoyed it but was pouting because I would have to wait for the second one.

I have family over that way I don't see very often and talked the mate into running along the river the other way so I could drop in on them when we were done shopping. We enjoyed the drive, it's very rural, cows, farms with red barns backdropped by colorful tree lines and even a Sugar Bush. I love maple sugar candy! The swath of color along the river reflected in the moving water even got a few oohh's and aahh's out of me.

I enjoyed surprising the cousin and the aunt. The uncle and the other cousin were not around. I always enjoyed visiting there. They had a big gravel pit and land along the ridge and the river. It was a huge play ground for kids and we all made the most of it when we went to visit. We didn't stay long because we were getting close to movie time but it was fun to see them.

I got surprised myself, at how old the cousin and the aunt appeared to be. I don't think of myself as old, I don't see me as old, just experienced. When I see people who no longer match my mental image of them I think, "How sad, they are so OLD looking now." and blithely wander on my way. Then I catch sight of myself in the window reflection of the truck or somewhere and am appalled to see I resemble my grandmother and my mother and my father and they were old when I was little!

As long as I am ramming around doing what I want to do with no pain or restrictions, I feel - oh...17 or so. The minute I have to find a way to accomodate my hip or slow down because of my heart or lack of stamina I feel my age. But I ignore the fact that I must also LOOK my age.

I see me as my avatar or the nice lady at the top of this post. I never looked like either of them, but that is how I see me on the inside. Are you all confused now? So am I. How you can think you are one way, be another way and feel yet a third way and then resolve all that with the closest mirror view of yourself is beyond me but there ya go.

We made it back to the theater in time to see The Return of Zorro. We loaded up on popcorn and root beer then killed some time on the claw machine. This one was no fun. You win every time but it costs two dollars to play and win a 25 cent prize. I didn't like it, no element of chance anymore.

We finally got seated and settled in for the movie. We yawned through the commercials and ads in tandem. Zorro started out fast but I don't feel the stunts in this movie were as well done as the first one. There were a couple good laughs and the kid was a riot. It had a little more depth to the characters but the twist to the plot was obvious, even to me. I give it a 6, good entertainment but I would wait for the CD.

None of that changed the fact that I was out with my best guy and had enjoyed a wonderful afternoon. The ride home in the dark was fun, chatting about the movie and treats we had for the dogs and how nice it was to get out with each other. Note to couples: Just because you are happily living together doesn't mean that time away from the routine isn't important. A walk in the park or a trip to the beach is refreshing for both of you. It reminds me of why I like my man so much- he's a great boyfriend!