6/01/2005

A comment on comments

I read about a guy who was discoraged that his blog wasn't getting many comments. I didn't realize that they were so important to people. I guess I will try to make a point of commenting more often on others blogs.

I kept a daily journal for more than ten years, starting with a teen age diary and ending up as a stack of spiral notebooks about 14 inches thick. I quit on St. Patrick's Day, 1989. I know because that's the day the house burnt down and I lost all heart for writing for a long time after that. Walking through the woods and finding a page or two of your life with brown and black lace edging is terribly disheartening. I was crushed that all that material - bad and good, music, poems, short stories and ideas - was so much waste paper.

I always made my own comments there, in the margins. It would be <- send thank you or !creep! or BML* (bless my lucky stars). Blogs really are made to be interactive. I checked the stats today and I have plenty of readers for being such a new blog. They are from all over and that just tickles me. I'd like to invite you all to Sign the Guest book and tell me where you are from or just leave a comment or funny story of your own. I'm a lot thicker skinned than I was as a teen, so be cranky if you must or critical if it makes you happy. I would be interested to know what keeps you coming back.

Thanks to all my readers, silent and otherwise, for enjoying the blogs.