5/24/2005

Road Trip!

My first contact with the wandering mate and the Mom was via answering machine about 7:00 p.m. You should keep in mind that I said yesterday around 5 p.m. that they should be in Tennesse by then. (Am I good? :) )

"If you were home you would have gotten this phone call! It's 6 o'clock. We are 18 miles north of Nashville and it's bumper to bumper. Love you!"

I called the cell and he actually had it on and answered it. They were now THREE miles north of Nashville, in an hour! He said Mom nagged at him to let her take a turn driving. Note: she didn't sleep well the night before, is riding in a "sleeps 6" motor home and won't sleep while they are moving. He finally let her. After about 45 minutes he noticed they were drifting off the road a little, then a little more, "HEY, Mom! We're going off the road!!" and she jerks awake. "Next rest stop, pull over" he says firmly!

I can't believe that's all he said. What restraint. It's only the most expensive and paid off bike he's ever owned on the trailer! Needless to say, now HE won't sleep while they're moving, either.

So the 2 humans of doubtful intelligence made it to Somelittletown in Southern Georgia before calling it a day.

For myself, I went by Mom's to check the cats, stopped at the foster sister's to tell her the travelers were ok, taught her 5 year old how to read a gutiar chord chart and which fingers went with which numbers, filled the truck up and went home.

I tossed in a load of clothes, moved some daffodiles and a tulip, rested, swapped the laundry to the dryer, went out and rode my bike up to the pavement. The grater came down our road today and all the gravel is soft and stirred up about 4 inches deep. I found an almost level spot and went 4 blocks down and back twice then stopped to visit with the neighbors for a while before I rode the rest of the way home.

Finished the laundry, did dishes, made coffee for morning, watched a MASH and crashed.

DAY TWO: I hate, I hate, I HATE cell phones. At least when the transmission is all white noise. Mate called me at 7a.m. quipping,"Wake up call!" but I was up already, HA! They had found a roadside park to camp in and were getting ready to roll.

I got around and went to work. Let sis Cee and step sis Tee know Ma was ok. Had another call about 3 p.m. saying they had arrived. Another about 4:30 saying they had the bike un-loaded safely (Thank you God!) and he said he would call me the next day.

So, for some strange reason I believed him. When I got home I went out and finished (?it's never DONE) weeding Warf's garden and moved some daffodiles. Then I realized I was feeling punky and funky so I went across the street and told the neighbor kid what I have told everyone else. If you help me move my flowers I will split them with you 40 - 60. He came right over, we finished digging out that corner and I showed him how to plant them. He went home and I laid in about 2 dozen in a nice, weed free area.

So I skipped the bike ride and went in for a cool beverage and some drip dry time. There was a message, it was the mate, I don't know what he said because of the static. I tried to call but got the voice mail. "Don't leave me a message and then turn off the phone!!! I love you." I tried to get the number where Mom was, unlisted. She took the contact list AND the rolodex with her! ARRRGGHH!

Still no call today so I don't know what the mate's up to or the Mom. I guess I will have to wait and be surprised.

Stay tuned.