1/29/2009

workin man blues

There isn't anyone I know that is working that can have the "workin man blues" for long in this state. If you have a job you treasure it.

I went to an information session yesterday through our Michigan Works program. The number of forms and releases with the same info to be filled in annoyed me.

I also discovered I have a poor attitude about a woman my age finding work in this area. I didn't know I was so negative about it until I was actually trying for this training.

It's not that I don't want to work but that I seem to want meaningful work. I thought about teaching. I saw on the news last night that they want to retire thousands of teachers to bring in "new" teachers at lower rates of pay as a budget measure. Now why would anyone want a job they know won't pay the bills?

Maybe I'll take up tutoring....

There are many things I can do. I just don't really feel like doing anything right now. The weather is still awfully cold here. I think I'm in some kind of "hibernation" mode.

Maybe I'll snap out of it come spring. But the unemployment runs out in four weeks unless I get an extension of benefits. It's a little scary.

I, unlike many I know, have options. I will also almost invariably find work. I always have. It's just a matter of choosing a direction.

But the good news is Easy got hired today! He goes for testing and orientation on Monday, starts Tuesday. It's a good job with decent wages and insurance.

So one of us is gonna be working, anyway. and in our area it's a miracle that anyone finds work. I'm thankful and he is thrilled.

Comments: 3 Comments:
At 29/1/09 9:53 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It isn't so easy anymore. Best of luck.

 
At 29/1/09 5:16 PM, Blogger ICE said...

Tell Easy I said Congrats!!!! One should be elated to find employment anywhere right now or to even be able to keep your job.. woooooooooooohooooooooo Easy!!!!

 
At 2/2/09 7:45 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thank you both! He starts tomorrow and is very excited.

Me, too. It's been a haul. We still have to get him to work for two weeks before he gets a check...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home