1/16/2009

and Melt your cold, cold heart

I was looking for jobs on Craigslist.com today when I opened the "wanted" ads to see if I could sell someone something to raise a little cash. I'm ok, but more is better and, after bills, there isn't any extra right now.

I found a posting that lifted my heart. A man named Marv Foster wants to help those in need, so he is renting a building to open for the overflow from the "regular" shelters.

I checked it out and it was legitimate. It's nice to see someone trying to make it a little easier for others. All I can do for them is pass it on.

If you are in the Central Michigan area please consider passing this around to your friends. I did.

****
Man Opens Homeless Shelter
http://www.wxmi.com/pages/news_landing_page/?Man-Opens-Homeless-Shelter=1&blockID=187022&feedID=296

Its located at 1136 Plainfield, just south of Lenord street, in Grand Rapids.

If you can, please drop off donations directly.

This is their list:
blankets
pillows and pillow cases
food/snacks
games/cards
cleaning items
hygiene items and anything else that might be used.

This is my list:
prayers for needs to be filled
bus tokens
back packs
folding tables and chairs
folding cots or beds
local newspaper subscriptions
phone cards
notebooks, pens, pencils
paperback books
working used computers

Thanks and God Bless

*****

It's bitterly cold right now in our area and going to be that way for a little longer before it "warms" up, like over freezing. I have been homeless. I remember how hard it can be to live like that. I was lucky. I found work and friends got me by until I was on my feet. There are few jobs in Michigan right now. A lot of people have been put on the streets by factory closings and relocations. If you can help, please do.