4/14/2008

if you don't stop driving that hot rod Lincoln

It was a strange weekend with MUCH music and fun that neared it's end with a drive home about 4:30 am. I was coming into the first of the last two curves before home when I just said to my self, "It's, for crying out loud, 4 in the morning and I am going to be BAD! I'm taking this (poorly banked and almost dangerous) curve on the wrong side of the road - fast and low!"

I'm such an outlaw! Sometimes, when I have been so good it hurts, I just have to be bad to feel human again. I thought this was one of those times.

I dropped down to the left, where the banking is good and edged the pedal down to speed up. Yup I was fast AND bad!

At least, I thought I was being bad....

Then, to my right, in the proper lane - where I should have been - I saw the big (emphasis on big!) carcass of the poor deer that didn't make it across the road. I would have hit it with just my left tire doing 45 (the posted speed) just past dead center of the curve.

I don't even want to do the math on it. I think it ends up with trees and ditches and upside down, like in the movies when they launch just two tires on the same side of a car.....

So I thought I was yearning to be bad but maybe I had just heard an angel whisper to me. It was wrong to be in that lane by our rules. Breaking them kept me here again.

I give up. Coincidence is going OUT of my vocabulary. When even being bad is good who's to say what's bad or good? I can't anymore.

You figure it out, let me know.... But I made it home safe with a smile on my face and watched for a car pulled over that overheated. I saw it and said a prayer for them, they were already rescued.

Life just gets too strange sometimes even for me.

*****************************
Friday night excitement was doing laundry and crashing early. Saturday I wrote and read, then used those clean clothes to go to jam session. Yay! Fun was had by all. I left and didn't want to go home yet so I bought a book at the good will and took me out for lupper or sunch.

While I was there I met a couple that were talking about a bike they were rebuilding. We got to talking and he did guitairs, too. I got mine out for him to look at. We did a couple tunes. No one kicked us out. He told me of a fund raiser the next day. I offered some auction items. They accepted. I went home with a book to read and a plan for the next day.

After Sunday morning study I cleaned up and packed to roll north. I got there and hauled my stuff in. The one person I knew from the day before saw me coming and greeted me. I was welcomed. Then I found two of the Saturday Jam men there. I wacked 'em good for not telling me there was a party, then gave them greeting hugs and sat with them.

There were five or six others at the two tables. They were all there to play. We got accquainted as best we could over the music we really wanted to listen to. It was nice. The two I knew left, but by then I was comfortable with the others.

I watched the music and heard the songs others wrote that made me laugh or smile. I sang one with the guys I had been sitting with and we had fun with it. I made new friends and heard a song the touched me deeply. I played some blues while the gang tore down and packed with the man who invited me.

It was just fun. I needed that. Then I helped haul equipment in my truck and played some more with them when we got it all set back up at the house. Then I realized it was almost four of the clock. I had to get my butt home to be to work. I hate leaving when I'm having fun!

Then I didn't hit the deer or the carcass and lived to enjoy the memory of a good time had by all.

Thought I'd share it with you. Have some fun, ya'll! Later might be unavailable to you.

Children, I'm not kidding, don't wait for the time to be right, if you need to do something

Do it NOW!

Comments: 4 Comments:
At 14/4/08 4:07 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

A good weekend with a touch of kind fate thrown in.

 
At 15/4/08 7:29 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Your feet are so firmly on the ground, Thank you! I can always use a touch stone.

 
At 15/4/08 12:14 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Your first story reminds me of why I hate driving in the mountains. :P CREEPY

 
At 15/4/08 12:32 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Hi SAUR!

It is mostly flat land where I live but a badly banked curve is always dangerous. I'm even careful of that one on the bike.

I don't know why I decided to switch lanes but it was like I wrote it, I made a deliberate decision to do it.

Yay me!

Thanks for coming by

 

Post a Comment

<< Home