12/19/2006

Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch

OK, it's not a song title. Tell me what it is then!

I'm feeling a little bogged down lately. Not moving much or fast. I got a few things done today because it's bible study Tuesday and I like to at least tidy up a bit for my ladies. Not much, but a little. I have a load in the washer that I put in part of about ten this morning but I haven't started it yet (eleven at night) because I have to add one or two more things from the basket and I haven't gone to dig them out yet. That kind of bogged down. Moving slow. And I just realized I have one smoke left so I have to run to town. That does not rock.

I got the house picked up and had dishes in to soak when the Sis got here bearing cookie dough because I said I wanted to decorate cookies. She thought that meant put plain icing on them . I like to fuss with them. It's fun, creative and should be done to xmas music. With dishes in the sink and soup to make I wasn't ready for it. We go for plain and save some dough for later.

Sis started wrapping gifts for our two girls. I stuck a finger in, taped an edge then I got on line to get a banana bread receipe. I got the oysters out, Sis started her chowder and I threw the oyster stew together. The phone rang, Best Girl trying to get in touch with Mom. Sis was whipping out cookies now and mashed some bananas for me. I stirred the soups. The phone rang, Cousin K! She is shopping with the mom and they will be late. OK. Shy Girl got here and started working the dishes I had half done, I got on the banana bread. Sis stirred the soups. Shy Girl moved to making cookies with Sis, I put tags on the packages and addressed them, went back to butter the bread pans. Shy Girl washed more dishes, Sis iced the cookies that were out and put another load in and we moved the presents to the living room. I stirred the soups. I started my bread and Shy Girl helped Sis finish icing the hot cookies, I got the bread in the oven and stirred the soups.

That's really how it goes here, all disconnected and disjointed but everything gets done. I finished up wrapping a small gift for Mom and Shy Girl started reading to us while we picked up a little. Mom and Cousin Kay who is back from Florida to visit for the holidays got there to warm cookies and hot soup. Mom got the bowls out, Shy Girl grabbed the spoons, I dug out napkins, Sis got the stuff stacked around the bread and cookies and we blessed it and ate after I grabbed the crackers. Desert was cookies, yummy ones.

It was a good study but slow as I wanted to know what the words really mean. Strong's Concordence helps a lot. Mom had to run and Cousin Kay had to go to the next town to be returned home so they got going shortly after Shy Girl left. Sis and I talked a while then we got her loaded up and on the road. My kitchen looks like I just pulled out all the cupboards and baked three things. The mixer is still out, the icing sugar and icing in a bowl, the papers for cooling cookies as I still have half a batch of dough to bake, two loaves of banana bread with black walnuts in them sit cooled on the counter and I think I just heard my mouse trap go off. That hasn't happened in a week or three.

I am just going to leave it all here and sneak the little car up to the gas station to grab a pack of smokes and then come home, start the wash, put the bread away, load the red, fuzzy stockings (I forgot them, they and their stuffing are on the counter, too) for the little girls, do the dishes while the oven preheats and then bake the rest of the cookies.

I just lit my last smoke. I have had a running fleece that is "if I run out of smokes it's time to move". I am hoping this is an error on my part and not my fleece kicking in. I don't know where I would go if I did move and I just got this place mostly straightened out. I have had a couple close calls the last few weeks while I am laid off but never ran all the way out. Now I am. It gives me another option to think about. This really is too much house and I could do with a smaller place with less lawn and one garage, not two and a planting/dog shed. I don't know how I can make it work and I don't think it will happen too soon but maybe I had better start looking for a smaller house.

I have decided I am looking for a smaller car, reliable and economical but will seat two grands and carry their bags. Still thinking VW Rabbit as the one I ran for four or five years Dad sold me was just right for one but could carry more. I saw a mini Cooper I liked but a deer would totally total it. Don't know yet. I sent the estimate the same day I sent the photos, all by email but got a letter asking for an estimate yesterday. Now that cranked my trigger! I called and got it straightened out but it means a week wasted waiting for the insurance company. I should have just gone and got a runs good! Arrrrggh.

I just put out the final smoke, I better get going. I have a ton to do when I get back.

Comments: 10 Comments:
At 20/12/06 10:43 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

I love all the team work that went on. I'm sorry things are slow going with the repairs. I hope everything gets fixed or a new something-or-another strikes your fancy.

 
At 20/12/06 12:08 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

It's all going well but me. I just have to get my energy back up. Christmas through the 25th of January scares me black. I am so concentrated on just functioning that any extra exertion seems beyond me right now.

Hanging on.

 
At 20/12/06 12:32 PM, Blogger kateandjona said...

I'm trying to get my energy back too ...

(smiling at the story of all that was accomplished ... and loving how!)

 
At 20/12/06 9:16 PM, Blogger Kira said...

My one and only bible study was a woman's group that studied women in the bible. I have to say that I really enjoyed it.

As far as Christmas cookies go, I'm ALL for what you state: they need to be decorated fully!!! Just icing is boring. I get the kids to help, and those suckers look like edible art when we're done with them!

Merry Christmas, dear! Alex and I always mention you from time to time. I know this Christmas will be the roughest, but you WILL do it and you will be fine. We'll keep you in our thoughts (and prayers!).

 
At 20/12/06 11:40 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

So glad I made you smile, Kate, hope Jona is hangin in there, too.

Hey Kira! LTNS! I wondered what you and your mate have been up to, decided I had it figured and didn't ask! (LOL)

 
At 21/12/06 11:41 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I'm not clear: are you actually quitting smoking?

If so...hang in there! And... Merry Christmas!

 
At 21/12/06 9:56 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

In the bible is a story of a man who said he needed a sign - he laid a sheep's skin, fleece, in the yard and said if it was dry and the ground was wet with dew he must have understood what he was supposed to do and would do it. The next day it was so. THEN he says, that's not what I meant, that's too easy. I meant if the ground was dry and the fleece was wet I would do it. Next day the fleece is soaked and the ground dry.

So "fleecing" to me means if you want me to do X then show me Y. It's just between me and the Divine Power. My standard fleece, when I was single and free to roam around, was "If I run out of smokes it's time to move on."

I ran out of smokes. But I haven't been free to roam for a long time. I am hoping this one doesn't count as I don't think I want to move right now.

I am not quitting smoking. Ain't gonna happen short of a miracle.

There, all clear now?

I heart you Saur! Thanks for coming by.

 
At 21/12/06 9:57 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

not one of you answered the title question, by the way....hmmmm.

 
At 22/12/06 12:22 PM, Blogger Cyrus said...

I think it's from the Brady Bunch episode when Marcia and her friends are telling ghost stories at a slumber party...if not...my second guess would be I Love Lucy?

 
At 23/12/06 12:53 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Nice try cyrus, I guess I will have to wait until one of you googles it...LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home