12/09/2006

I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive

and a country girl can survive. But I am short a truck.

I hit a deer for the first time in my life tonight. I saw several deer in the field to my right and was watching to see if they were headed for the road. The white truck is a stick shift so I had just put the clutch in to slow down a little more and WHAM! All I saw was nose to tail across the front end of the truck. I would have liked to stop but I knew I was missing pieces and the most likely one was the radiator. I would be overheating shortly. If I stopped I would have to turn the truck off, (not an automatic, not level road) and I didn't know if it would start again. I couldn't move the deer by myself anyway.

It was just past sunset but I could still see some so I hit the emergency flashers, they worked on the rear, and drove carefully on my way to meet Mom at a birthday party for a friend of ours. It was three miles there or nine to go home and I didn't think I could make nine miles. I honked to let people know I was there and drove with no lights - very carefully.

When I got parked and looked at the poor thing the grill was gone or in the radiator, one turn signal still hung by it's wiring and the bumper was ok but all the rest of the lights were gone and the hood was bent and probably sprung. I had just gotten things to where I felt good helping for the holidays and I had, perhaps, been a little generous but now, a month after I sold Little Red, I am going to need a new set of wheels.

It makes me wonder why I need them - do I need more seating space? more cargo space? a camper on the back and a trailer? Now I am curious to see what pops up when I go tomorrow to look for something to drive. Or am I staying home for awhile? hmmm....the possibilities!

I called the Best Girl's Mate, the SIL, and gave it to him to deal with. He fixes cars well and can probably salvage it for the grandson to drive. I only have basic coverage on it, that I just paid six months on last month, darn it. It was paid off, too. Poop.

I still have to say, the deer didn't come over the hood and into the cab. I didn't lose control of my truck. The engine sounded fine, never a hitch so that should be good anyway. I had a place close to go to and get help. The house didn't burn down and I didn't kill anyone. Aside from the fact that I had to leave the deer and waste the meat and heard some idjit ran over it again so it's no good to anyone, I got off pretty light.

Know anyone with a diesel Jetta or Rabbit for sale in Michigan? Or another little S-10 Chevy would be ok, too.

I hate shopping.

Comments: 9 Comments:
At 9/12/06 10:12 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You seem okay but that's scary, and the results suck.

 
At 9/12/06 11:26 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

I'm just glad you are okay. That is some scary stuff.

 
At 9/12/06 5:40 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I actually was ok. The beloved white truck I have had six years drove right through that deer. I was a little shocked again at the tiny instants in which a life is changed but I know now that each change is for the good of someone, just not maybe me this time.

Around here hitting a deer is like stopping for a gallon of milk - everyone does it. I just had managed to avoid them so long I guess I was thinking I was immune.

I miss the truck already.

 
At 9/12/06 8:19 PM, Blogger Madzillah said...

AW nuts.

I'll keep an eye out.

 
At 9/12/06 10:51 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Geez, gal... glad you are ok!

 
At 10/12/06 6:44 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Darn. Glad you're okay, though.

Here in my suburban neighborhood, we live next to a 150-acre preserve. I almost hit a deer myself earlier this year going to work at 6 am. It scared the daylights out of me. I can only imagine how you felt actualy hitting the poor animal.

 
At 11/12/06 12:19 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I guess I didn't mention I hate killing anything I won't eat. I felt really badly about hitting her but glad it was an "instant kill". She did not suffer.

 
At 11/12/06 12:48 PM, Blogger dan said...

You know, I don't know of many people who live in the northern tier of states who HAVEN'T hit a deer.

I think it just makes you one of the club.

 
At 12/12/06 12:23 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I know, Dan, but it was a club I was proud not to be in, darn it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home