8/02/2006

She's the little old lady from Pasadena

and she is always on the go....My mom I mean. Her car has needed the air fixed for awhile now and she finally got it done. Her brother, my uncle, loaned her his car while hers was in for repairs. He's a nice guy.

Mom has more miles under her belt than some truck drivers. She almost always had a one hour commute to work for most of her life. It was combo driving, town and freeway in the city. She won't ask someone to help her out half the time because she is so used to doing for herself.

Monday night she called to borrow something. I offered to run it down but she insisted on picking it up. I was just getting real clothes on to visit with her (too hot for clothes, was running around in a light pj) when my phone rang. It was that fake automated operator wanting to know if I would take a collect call from Mom. I thought it said to accept press any key, so I did. Must have been my ears or I hit the wrong "any key", because it hung up after telling me it would be ninty five cents a minute.

My head does the mental math. Collect from hospital, gas station or cell phone? Hmmm...it's been about twenty minutes since she called me and said she was leaving, not enough time for hospital really, but she wasn't feeling well - what the heck. I call the hospital to double check and she isn't there. It was too long for her to be at the gas station so that makes it cell phone and a break down. I finished dressing and scooted out the door.

After checking to make sure I have my tow strap and tie downs and tools I headed down the road, lickity split. It was really hot Monday and she would be on the side of the road with no air. I pulled up just as she hung up a strange couple's cell phone from trying to call me and said, "I can't answer that because I'm here already!" We all laughed.

I gave the car the once over, I had my hand in it and she tried to start it, scared the crap out of me! I hollered, "Don't DO that!" and she jumped like I had stabbed her. I said, 'Sounded just like Dad, didn't I?" and she stated, "You didn't have to scream!" I apologized but told her I really couldn't help it, my hand was in there. We hate when that happens.

It wouldn't start still. I thought it might be the water pump as the engine seemed really hot but still had fluid. Whatever, we called the tow truck for Uncle's car and I took her home, with the item she needed to borrow that I had been smart enough to bring along. After I called and cleared it with my pal, I trotted back out to meet the tow driver and sent the car to my friend's car repair service to be checked out.

The drive home was quiet and peaceful. I wanted my bike but it really was still too hot for me to go riding so I got by with leaving the window down and the tunes cranked and hurrying a litttle to get back to the air conditioner.

The uncle came to return Mom's repaired car on Tuesday but now his was broken. After some consulting she sent her car with him and I picked her up last night for our Bible Study. We had a visitor the sister brought. She was a girl about 15/16 over visiting from Wisconsin. She is a horse nut and Cee is keeping her a couple weeks. It was fun to visit with her.

I had a yellow rose for the mom. She really liked it. Yellow is her favorite color. When she asked me what it was for I told her it was because she wouldn't enjoy it as much at her funeral, LOL. That made her laugh. None of us wants flowers when we are too gone to enjoy them!

We worked through our sandwiches and salads with the usual family matters and then started on John 8. We didn't get very far. There was a lot to discuss in that chapter. When the evening ended, just before ten, Mom loaded up and I took her home. We forgot the posy, darn it, so it's here waiting for me to run it over there later.

In the mean time, back at the repair place, they figured out it was the timing belt. It would have gone out on the Uncle in the Really Big City on his way home. We were all glad that didn't happen to him. It should be done today. I will have to run by there after work with mom and pick it up.

It's still hot here today but it could be worse. Bro1 was in El Paso yesterday and made the news when he got tired of waiting (over 3 hours) because they wouldn't let cars through the flood waters on hwy. ten. He snuck into line behind a little four wheel drive to take his chances. He said the water was over his hood but he made it through ok. His boss, on the cell phone with him says, 'Are you the little grey car? You're on the news!" Some station had live coverage going on and his timing put him right in the middle of it. Those related to the mate men anyway! What a bunch! I was just glad to know he was ok. I had called when I read the news about the rains.

Still blistering hot here. Thinking about leaving early. Looking forward to a cold front from the north country to cut us back to the sixties tonight! Oh, come on, cold front! It won't last long but even a day or two of regular temps will be welcome.