7/23/2006

Saturday in the park

I was hyped for the Fair on Friday. I was going to enjoy good food, good music and people watching.

It was more like watching Mary Martin play Peter Pan as an adult. The strings show on everything. It was something like looking at a puzzle you loved putting together with pieces missing all through it this time.

The big taffy making machine was gone for the second year. Grama always bought me taffy there and I have bought it for myself or the mate would buy it for me every year until last year. The crystal jewelry was missing. The leather guy was back. The rides didn't have just ONE where all the teens hung out into the late hours. I don't know what they were doing for fun this year. I never saw anyone I knew. The gyro man was cranky and tired but his gyro was still the best. There were no good french fry huts, only standard fare. The Merchants Building was empty. No vibrating cushions or chairs to try out, no organ or piano displays. The hypnotist was interesting, the crowd was cold, the music was too young. I won a prize worth 8 tokens at the pushers. I now own a steel flask. I did see the nephew working his game. I didn't have anyone to play with. I got a blister on one toe. I went home.

I tried again on Saturday to look for some friends I thought would be there. I was thinkin it was fluke - but it was the same only worse because I'd seen it all. I did run into one friend that always works the fair and one girl I know from GW and my Aunt and Uncle with their kids. Didn't help. They all wandered off and that leaves me alone again. I am realizing I am pretty lousy at this alone crap. I like my privacy from the world and I like my privacy from the neighbors but I miss sharing all the fun with a friend.

I think that unless someone asks me to go I am done with the fair except for my concert Wednesday night. I think I won't ever go again alone to the fair.