8/01/2006

In the shade of the old apple tree

or anything else, for that matter. I wasn't going to say it, I hate being like everyone else, but it is HOT here. Day two of over 100+ on the heat index. I just tried to suggest the boss let the guys go early. He says all they have to do is ask and make up the hours on Friday. He doesn't want to be the one to suggest it, apparently. That would be showing consideration for his employees or something else he doesn't want to set a precedent for. The cheap furkin idiot won't even buy them gatorade or anything, saying plain water is good enough to work around the powder coating oven and the welders. I get so hot! I guess I will haul my hot old butt over and get it for us myself. I like the grape ok.

I didn't really do anything this weekend. The week had been busy, with fair and the Hank Jr. concert and all, but even in the high eighties I wilt so I stayed home and in the air. I got some of the stacks I have been avoiding sorted out and stored or removed, next is file drawers to see if I can cut down from 4 to two cabinets.

The nephews, C1son and C2boy were over Sunday to help with the gutters that need finished and I traded C2boy a half helmet for his extra help. The weather turned nasty enough that I made them stay and play some TX hold 'em while we waited for the worst of it to pass. It seems they neglected to tell me we were out of rivets, too. It was a nice visit but we didn't get the gutters up.

The nephew is in the north country with the carnival and loving it, he says. I always enjoyed working the fairs. He told me today he has lost inches, two new notches in his belt and six pounds in the two weeks he has been there. His recruiter was pleased to hear that. He says he ran today, too and it was easier than he thought it would be after neglecting it for a week. I keep hoping the kid will get into the Army soon, so he is in training in the fall, not the summer or winter. It's nasty with rain in the fall but not normally too hot or cold to be outside.

Last night, once I survived the drive with no air in the truck that baked in the sun all day, I mopped and cleaned the kitchen for bible study tonight. The old farm house was pretty nice at 74 inside compared to the real world. I had cold sandwiches for supper. Tonight is will be egg salad, I guess. Maybe some fruit if I feel like stopping at the store. It was really bothering me that I had nothing better to do than house work. Even if the mate was here, though, I think we would have been huddled in front of the air watching movies. It's just the weather.

The animals were all glad to see me last night, too. They came right in with no problems, even the stoner cat. We all just hung out and they laid on the cool tile in the kitchen while I fussed with treats and meds and such. The chow/lab has a flea allergy that takes predisone to control. I give her the pills in peanut butter and, of course, the boxer thinks he has to have some, then Timone, who thinks he is as good or better than any dog, has to have a bite, too. If it's not cat nip the stoner cat could care less. I gave them all fresh, cold water and let them stay in all night except when they told me they had to do their business.

Even after dark it was too hot to really do anything outside. I thought about rototilling the garden but it was really too hot still so I guess I just have to watch the weeds grow. The nephew, B1son, didn't know to mow away from the garden and planted a lot of crab grass into my newly turned dirt last time he mowed. I'm not mad, just discouraged. It's kind of like the time the mate and Best girl pulled all the thistle out from under my flowering crab apple tree not knowing it was poppies...LOL! You just move on and plant more flowers or move on and weed again. It's not worth hurting their feelings about.

So it's been slow here but I have gotten a lot done in the house. I hope you are all staying cool and having fun. I'll catch up later. Blogger still won't take pictures and I still have trouble with the comments getting eaten.

Comments: 3 Comments:
At 2/8/06 10:04 AM, Blogger dan said...

It's raining here in MN, so it should be cooler soon! keep the faith!

 
At 2/8/06 11:03 AM, Blogger Annake said...

It hot, hot, hot here, too! I have to spend half of my day in a warehouse and it's no fun. Can't wait for that cold front they keep telling us is coming. :-)

 
At 2/8/06 1:11 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Hangin' in there, Dan

Let me know when it gets there, Ananke!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home