7/24/2006

On the road again

I didn't have to wait to get on the road again.

I was at work Friday, minding my own business, when the #1Son called and asked me what I was doing after lunch. I said working and he said, "Are you sure?" He was on his way through Thinks it's a big City heading east and then back the same way. I got invited to ride in the big truck with him! That's right, if I haven't mentioned it, my son the truck driver. This is his almost third year of being a driver and he is not hating his job. That makes us both happy.

What has always made me smile about that is I used to be a hitchhiker with a portable CB and only rode with truckers. They always got me where I was going and only three times was I a little worried about my driver and I having trouble. All the rest of them and I had great good fun going down the highway together.

I asked the boss and he cut me loose so I finished the days shipping and booked out of there! I haven't ridden in a big truck in 22 years or so and I knew I would like this driver so it would be fun. I pulled out of the off ramp right behind his truck and followed him to the local truck stop. I parked my little truck out of the way and walked over to meet him.

We took time to do the usual "do that before you leave" stuff and checked our beverage supplies before we pulled out. I loved it that his truck had steps for old ladies to use. It made climbing in much easier. No air ride seat for me but the whole rig was on air suspension so it wasn't too bad.

We played music, sang, listened to the CB for a very short while, talked and visited all the way to his pick up spot. On the way back we stopped at a real truck stop for dinner, my treat, and had a nice time there, too. I remembered why big trucks are good and bad and I noticed that I don't think I will be running off in one anytime soon.

The great thing about riding in a big truck is you can see for EVER in front of you over and beyond everything except another truck. It's a real rush to be that far up with that much view to enjoy. For the drivers these new fangled trucks have most of the comforts of home right at hand, too. Little refridgerators, laptops, coffee makers and more are available to pass the time or make life easier. Add the cell phone and staying in touch is easier as is calling for help if you break down or need help.

The bad part about riding in big trucks is getting in and out, it's a long way down, loading and unloading all the stuff you carry with you, and the idiots on the road that think you can stop as quickly as they do. We didn't run into to many moron drivers Friday so it was mostly all good.

I really enjoyed the time I got to spend catching up with the #1son and I learned he is an impressive whistler! My grampa whistled, my dad would whistle when things were going his way and so did the mate. It always made the world feel right to me when the mate was whistling because when I was little that meant Dad was having a good day. As his partner I knew it meant the same for him and that made me feel good, too. Having the son whistling as we drove down the road gave me that same "all is well" feeling. But he is GOOD! Can't wait to introduce him to some of the famous whistlers of the past! It was a wonderful way to spend an afternoon!

I got home about six that night and got around to go hear a new band that an accquaintence of mine is in. Found out one of the kids my daughter used to play with at church was the drummer! ARG! The band was ok, the singer was good and I enjoyed listening to them. My pal sat with me during breaks and that was fun. He is an interesting story teller.

Ran into a friend that had helped out another of my friends recently and he and I talked after closing. I talked, I should say. He let me spew and I tried to explain where my poor head is at. Like the letters I email to one of my very tolerant friends, it gave me a chance to see just how self centered and pitiful I get sometimes. He did help me in that he had lost a friend recently and did know how it messed up your head to deal with the world without your best friend. He could listen and I told him that sometimes just having someone male to talk to was something I missed. Like every night when I come home. Or when I was making decisions on the house an such to not be able to get a second opinion messes me up. He talked about his friend, too. I knew them both, but not well, in school. We wound up and went home when the bartenders left.

Saturday I slept in and when I got up I decided to get some loose ends tied up on the machine. I processed some photos for one site and I finished the website for my friend, 2Tall. You can take a peek at the lovely wood inlay work he does at: http://characterwoods.com/ . I am hoping for a lovely box of boxes to come to me soon.

The nephew, Cboy2, along with Cshe, his wife and Chim, the NIL, came over to go for a ride. I got around and got the bike out. She started hard and I know I have to get a tune up on her soon. We scooted around some of the curvy roads and ran into the CD's (chapter directors) from our local GW chapter. We stopped so I could visit with them a moment or two. Our ride went past a local speedway and then continued over more curves until we were back where the kids could scoot home on their own. I went to the fair again for dinner and to see if I could find the long lost best friend of the mate. I know the family is always here for the parade so I had skipped that but I had hoped to find them coming over. Since they hadn't I went looking but we didn't cross paths.

I headed home and called it a night. I got a call from the daughter of an old friend. I knew that was bad news. I will talk about my friend another time, not now. So there I sat on a Saturday night. I thought about going out to see the band again, they were good enough for twice but decided against it. I was just too bumming. I just got around and went to bed. And got up. And went back to bed. I slept in on Sunday. That was nice. Sleeping is good.

It's kind of been all down hill from there. I slid into dark places and missing the mate again. I called 2tall and told him the site was up. He talked to me for awhile. It cheered me up enough that I got to bed with the coffee on and the alarm set.

But I realized Friday that tomorrow is going to be 6 months since the mate died. Half a year apart. I had promised me that I would not make any major decisions for six months. Now it's here. Now I can think about moving, not moving, getting a new job, staying in the old job, going to Tennessee or staying put. Selling more things or buying new ones or none at all.

It's my life now. I have to figure out how to live it. Continuing on the way we always did is an option but so is anything else I want to try. Sort of, maybe. I still have the animals to deal with and that makes it look like staying put for another year or so until my oldest two join the mate.

It's my life now, but I want the old one back still. Everyday. Every night at bedtime. It's just too lonely here. So I keep searching for new friends but I know it's the old one I'm craving. Life is going on and I'm in it most days but this week is looking to be really hard to deal with.

I bought an expensive ticket to see a show at the Fair on Wednesday as a sort of bribe for myself to get through Tuesday. I hate to waste money. I don't like being so blue, still, either. The show will at least get my mind on other things and give me something to plan for - like take the umbrella, it's supposed to rain, of course. Maybe it will blow old Hank Jr. right into my lap!

Comments: 8 Comments:
At 24/7/06 11:52 PM, Blogger Jezzy said...

Enjoy the show.

I wish you all the best with all the decisions you'll be making.

 
At 25/7/06 9:09 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I hear he puts on a pretty good show. I am looking forward to it, forward ho, ya know...

I think I have decided not to decide anything now. LOL! Pressure is now off!

 
At 25/7/06 9:51 AM, Blogger dan said...

I love truck stops. They always have the best food.

you've reminded me I haven't eaten at one in forever though. Looks like it's time for an expedition!

 
At 25/7/06 1:23 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Take that new set of wheels out for an afternoon drive and enjoy!

 
At 25/7/06 1:36 PM, Blogger Annake said...

I grit my teeth every time I see some moron driver in their fancy sports car cut a truck driver off! I swear those idiots think a big rig can just stop on a dime. Glad to hear you had a good time though. You deserve it! :-)

 
At 25/7/06 2:10 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

The boy really did make me smile

 
At 25/7/06 3:19 PM, Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

I am so GLAD your son called- took you for a ride- enjoyed being with you and vice/versa :)
But the ache...like arthritis. Good days and bad- but always there in some way. I am sorry about your friend...
And the pic you posted next- I'll reply there :)
I think so much of you :)

 
At 25/7/06 3:44 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thanks Cora, I can see you have been having a lot of fun. I finally can commment again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home