3/01/2006

Well, they call it stormy Monday

Now you shouldn't leave a vunerable old woman home unprotected.

One of the things I learned on Friday was that I had the math right and didn't need to probate the estate. When I finally got up around eleven on Monday I decided to use the day to get the rest of the legal transfers done on the vehicles and pistols. That would let me set them up for selling, swapping or trading and I could get the taxes done and I would have all my duckies in a row for the first time since the mate left.

I had managed to find all the "inspection" paperwork for the pistols, the titles, proofs of insurance and registrations for all the vehicles, the mortgage paperwork, the birth and marriage certificates and the mate's I.D. so I could prove to anyone just about anything they asked. I had it all in one folder.


I had a nice, hot cup of coffee, watched my birds, got my email and left just before one to catch everyone after lunch. I decided to do the pistols first and got the same lady from Friday only now we were old friends and we knew not to discuss the law that said I had to exaust every other possiblity before I shot at someone in my own home.

There is a person trying to get that changed for us and I don't even vote for him but this law needs to be changed. If someone gets through two steel doors and past my dogs I am going to assume they seriously mean me no good of some kind. With a steel hip and a bad heart I am sure not going to run very far. Why should I be in trouble, when they are the bad guy, if I take a shot at them? But, anyway....

She started to get my paperwork entered into the computer and it died. Locked right up. She reboots, still running like molassas in January. She reboots again and finally get hooked back up to the network. The guy that comes in behind me is having some kind of trouble over the sale or purchase of a motorcycle with a person I know screwed over a friend of mine buying a bike with a bad check. I feel badly for him. Sounds like a mess.

I was at least entertained while she got the machine to spit out two new inspection certifications that said I now owned one big six shooter with a red dot scope that my mate bought from my Dad, and one small six shooter with nothing fancy about it that I traded a semi auto to the cousin for. But the little one doesn't scare me, isn't very noisy and doesn't kick much. I can speed load it, too! This all took about three times as long as it should.

When I get down the road to the Sec of State office I pull of # 13. The mate's lucky number. It must have been because they got me in and out of there with all the right papers for the correct vehicles in under thirty minutes. I got back into the little red truck and put the file away, then had to wait while I cried because I didn't want to "own" his truck or his bike or his pistol. Poor mate, I know he would rather I didn't have to do all this either and he can't help much. But little things like getting his lucky number when I am taking care of business for us make me feel like he's looking out for me still.

I went home and stopped for the mail. I did better and so did Marcia. We both have problems believing he is gone sometimes, still. He always got the mail. It messes both of us up to have me get the mail. Nothing fun there and I head for the house to let the dogs out. I took the paperwork and the pistols in and reloaded mine, put his away and put the file where I could find it without straining myself later.

I decided the mate would have been especially nice to me because I had such a rough time last night and again today doing the offical paperwork we both hated so much. So I let the animals out and broke out the pork chop and mushrooms, grabbed a can of mushroom soup and some spinach and made myself a real dinner with potatos and gravy, sauted 'shroons and a vegetable, a glass of milk and a cup of coffee for after. I got my book out and read while I ate slowly. There was enough left to make the dogs and the cats fancy treats but I ate what I could.

The mates's nephew was going to pick up the white truck in the morning. I made him a list of things to check, laid it out with a key, remembered to get the registration and proof out of the folder and put it out on the back porch for him. I crawled off to bed early, for me lately.

Yesterday I managed to get up and go to work, get an apointment to have the red truck's tail gate door fixed, make it through the day without telling that story again, go over the list of things the nephew wanted to fix on the truck for me with him, test drive it, visit with him and his girl a while, get the animals set up for morning and the coffee on, add a dozen furnace restarts in here the last 4 days and two resets on the water heater and we are all caught up.

I just wish I did not miss him so much, it seems so selfish. I wish I could feel the light inside myself that I know he is a part of but it's still very dim there. And I wish my eyes didn't always feel like an empty margarita glass, liquid in the bottom and salt dried all along the rims. Any genies out there?

Comments: 6 Comments:
At 1/3/06 5:06 PM, Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

My heart is in my throat.
I feel as if an asthma attack is coming on...like my lungs are going to squeeze out all the air...I just hurt reading your words.
I don't say this to ask you to change anything...I say this because you have punctured something in me, reminded me of the "other side" of life for so many people who have lost a "mate".
I am 36, and my husband is the same age. When he was 31 he had knee surgery, and developed a huge blood clot in his leg. It broke up, passed through his heart, and into his lungs. 2 different surgeons told me, seperately, that they could not explain how or why he survived. I thought he was having a heart-attack at the time...made him chew an asprin, gave pain meds, and called 911.
While he was in the hospital, I did what seemed crazy to me at the time, but I kept seeing my life as if he had passed. The socks on the floor...his stuff everywhere in our house...bits of hair in the sink would bring me to long gushing tears of heartache, over a person who was recovering in the hospital...a mate I had not lost, but almost.
Have you read A Grief Observed bu CS Lewis? It may be too soon to read it yet, but it is a wonderful book...a lot of healing takes place in it's pages.
Bless you...bless you...bless you.
I will take an extra moment today to be grateful for that man when he comes home...in honor of yours. Thank you, for being so honest.
(ok, I'm breathing well again...)
-Cora

 
At 2/3/06 2:36 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

thank you, when one more person shares the love with their precious people then the love the mate shared with me is still spreading love in the world, no finer tribute can be made to the man than that he loved you the way you were.

 
At 2/3/06 8:30 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Hi Val, just checking in to say hi. I'm still reading, and, I'm convinced you're Superwoman.

I'd go to school to be a genie if I could.

 
At 3/3/06 10:27 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Fred, Most people seem to be getting that impression, I have to say the mate knew me better.

He was the one I could let go and come apart with. With him gone I have to keep stifling the collapse into total grief because there is no one to cover my bases while I am off duty.

It doesn't make me superwoman, it makes me probably getting an ulcer and breaking out with shingles woman because I am repressing such strong emotion so long.

I could use an animal watcher, a maintenance man, a house keeper and a big teddy bear for about 48 hours...

 
At 4/3/06 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ice said...

Val you are a shining star in my book. You write like... ahh I can't express in my own words - write a book woman... you have it in you. I don't know how you have managed, but reading all, I see how you have come through all of this.. damn lady, I respect you soooo much for the honesty you "write", the true love that you have... and the true love that will never go away.. ICE

3/3/06 7:31 PM

 
At 4/3/06 10:19 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thank you Ice, it means a lot to me that you have been following along.

If you still want a blog, email me and I will set one up for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home