12/07/2005

A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down


The nasty medicine has to go down if I'm going to get any rest. I'm so stuffed up I can barely breathe, coughing till I can't breathe at all and then gasping till I am almost breathing again and then aching all over and my head hurts. I'm guessing bronchitis but it might be pneumonia or pluresy for all I know. Doesn't matter what you call it, I'm sick.

I pulled my beanie all the way down to the back of my neck and tied my scarf up to my nose then pulled my flannel lined coat over all of it and added my mitten before I even stepped out the door this morning and I was still cold. Then the sun had the balls to come out and look all cheerful and I had to dig out my rainbow mirror wrap around sunglasses. I wanted to stop at the store but figured they would think I was a robber so I blew it off.

I would have been poking at my computer if I was home so I went to work anyway. Having an office of only two people, I don't have to worry about spreading the germs around. We both have our own spaces. My germs can't get past the air filter so the boss should be safe enough if he just stays on his own side of the office.

I can never remember if it's feed a cold or starve a cold but I know I am drier than a desert rock at high noon. I am drinking lots of fluids just to keep my lips from sticking together because they are so chapped it hurts when they touch.

So I am all Happy happy joy joy here in the winter wonderland! Welcome to winter. I am requesting your cold cures and suggestions on how to feel better more quickly in the comments today. What's your favorite cold remedy? Does it really work or do you just not care you're sick after you take it? LOL!

Comments: 4 Comments:
At 7/12/05 4:39 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I have no idea what works. I've tried everything over the years, and nothing makes me feel better, it just makes me drowsy.

 
At 8/12/05 8:45 AM, Blogger Ed said...

When I get a cold, I take those multi-symptom cold/flu liquicaps and take them as often as necessary. At night, I take the ones with codiene to induce sleep. They generally will last for four to six hours. I also take mega doses of vitamin C which for me shortens the life of the cold.

 
At 8/12/05 12:21 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thanks guys! I have the standard OTC but for some reason it's not getting my head un-stuffed. I finally took an extra pill to see of that helps.

I take vitamin C and zinc, it does seem to help me get over it more quickly. Lots of tea and honey, too.

Oh well, can always try the brandy this weekend..LOL!

 
At 8/12/05 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a normal day, you should take in a half ounce of water/juice/etc for each pound you have. When you don't drink enough your body will keep the water for vital operations but starve the rest of of you like your skin and lips. This is why it's important to keep on drinking and why your lips are chapped.

And, while bourban and honey may seem like a good idea, coffee and alcohol both assist in dehydrating you which neutralizes some of the liquid intake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home