12/06/2005

Tell all the gang on 42nd Street

That I will soon be there...

I almost forgot and now I feel ashamed. And it's not that I believe that spreading the blame around will take away the sting of my failure, it's that I want to save you from making the same mistake I almost made.

It's the holiday season. Thanksgiving was well celebrated here. And I still forgot. Now I have started getting ready for Christmas. I have a cute little doll for one grand and a cute little outfit for the other grand, a girl gift for the family exchange and have been watching for something unique and special for the mate. I don't send cards if I send a gift and I don't send a gift if I send a card, just common sense to me - that and finances.

So I'm in the spirit, and thought I had things pretty well covered, for me. Then I got an email from the sis, actually from the OTHER sis, the one down south I don't see much. She said she wanted to try, one more time, to bake our family's secret receipe cookies for the holidays but needed the receipe again. I grabbed it out of the text file I had it in from the last time she asked for it and popped it in a reply and then finished reading her letter.

"....the daughter is going to stand by with the fire extinguisher so we should be all set. She will help ice them, too. Then we are going to send them to Iraq. Can you send me the address for you neice's unit?"

I was stunned. How come people forget so well? Is it a survival trait? The neice is still dealing with injuries and so many are still in the hospital. I had planned on a massive cookie bake myself for the weekend. I was going to give them to the kids and neices and such. Now they are all getting a photo of a plate of cookies and a card with the address of the wounded or active duty soldier I ship them to for Christmas.

Did you forget?

Comments: 2 Comments:
At 6/12/05 6:42 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I would have, if not for members of a club in school solely dedicated to collecting items and sending them to Iraq. I was happy to participate and we're still going strong collecting stuff.

 
At 7/12/05 11:30 AM, Blogger dan said...

I drop off magazines and reading material when I get stacks big enough.

Any slice of home can do a body good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home