12/09/2005

Dashing through the snow

Dashing through the snow
in our little four wheel drive.
Off to work we go,
hoping to arrive.

A plow comes rushing by,
smucking us with snow.
Oh what fun it is to cruise
down the backroads, here we go.

OOOOOHHH - Bless my mate,
I'm running late,
but he got me to town.
Then tonight, by sunsets light,
he'll take me safely home!

Welcome back to the winter wonderland! Just when I think I will get a snow day and get to stay home and nurse my cold my conscience attacks me. I would have driven myself but it seemed to be making the mate nervous so I let him take me to town in the little red truck. It was a fun ride. I am never sure if he is having too much fun driving through drifts or if he really thinks that Moi would slip the little white truck in a ditch. I lean toward the former.

Making first tracks and busting trail are things we both enjoy. The deeper the drift the larger the challange! And yes, it's only fun till you get stuck. But we don't need towing very often. Being raised in a rural area you get more chances to boondock and learn what you and your machine can do, and what you can't. We know our limits pretty well. If the rest of the drivers keep moving and stay out of our way we rarely need a rescue.

The Mate's Eldest called last night inviting him to an early morning breakfast. He was off at sevenish this a.m. to meet her. I got up at my usual time, had a look out the window, got a mug of coffee, made a mental note to fill the bird feeders tonight and sat down to drink my wake up cup. I stayed off line in case the mate needed backup.

When my voice kicked in I called the shop. I knew the boss would be there, he was. I just told him I was going to be late. We never see the plows till day two of a dust up like this. Then I got dressed and waited for the man to get home.

He had his little red truck all warmed up and his eyes were all twinkly with "I'm a drift buster" fun and he was willing to drive me to work. We loaded and rolled about 6 feet when his highness, the stupid cat came strolling up the tire tracks to be let into the house. .....darn cats! First he stays out two nights running in below zero weather and worries me sick, then he misses last call and makes me run back to let him in.....which I did.

We popped out the driveway and plowed on down the road. As we swished out onto our main road he started driving with one tire in the drifts... I just looked at him and he smiled big and said, "Just doing my part to keep the roads clear."

"You forgot to say, "for others", mate," I offered. "Doing your good deed for the day and all, ya know." Then we looked at each other and laughed!

He will be picking me up later today and we get to do it all over again to get home. From the forcast it looks like we will be snowed in in Tiny Town this weekend. What a drag....NOT!

Stay warm, all!

Comments: 5 Comments:
At 9/12/05 5:10 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Your weather and roads aren't much different than ours here in rural Illinois. Stay warm and safe. :)
Have a great weekend!
Lois Lane

 
At 10/12/05 9:13 AM, Blogger Fred said...

We moved to Virginia from Florida in 1995; that winter was one of the worst on record. We hated it. The kids loved it. They were out of school for an entire week. The Missus was ready to tie them up because they were getting cabin fever.

I love pictures of snow - just as long as I'm not in them.

 
At 10/12/05 11:19 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I grew up with four seasons but like the winter less as I grow older. I don't think I will go as far as Florida but TN looks tempting sometimes.

Thanks for stopping in Lois and I love the new blog look, Fred!

 
At 13/12/05 11:41 AM, Blogger dan said...

Just goes to show you, things are always better with friends and mates!

 
At 15/12/05 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Hubby loves the chance to use his 4 wheel drive. And you are so right.. the bigger the drifts the better :-). We are currently experiecing a heavy snow storm. Not windy..just lots of snow. The temps are on the mild side..so it is actually kind of nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home